Limp mode?

ncfc3s

Registered
Hey guys. I have an 2000 with some problems. I was wondering if my bike has a limp mode. I start the bike...it runs perfect until the temp gets up to temp, the the bike dies and wont start until it cools off. Recently installed a stator cover, but it checks out on the meter while running at 13+ volts and charges fine. What im thinking is maybe it has a limp mode if the fan does not come on? Im not sure where its supposed to come on, but Im guessing at the half way mark where the bike is shutting down. Mods include a pcIII etc. :please:

the half way point is the normal operating temp for the bike....and you should be reading 14.4 volts not 13....id take off the pc3 and start there....and if your fuel pump is getting hot that could definatly be a problem, if your ecu is getting hot that too is a problem....the fan doesnt kick on untill the bike gets well over 200 degrees the half way point I believe is only 185...you may have an electrical issue that is heating up something, wich caused your dead batterie, your bad regulator and whatever else I have read about this week that you have replaced...good luck...Id seriously start checking things with an ohm meter....and in answer to your quesstion, not sure about the 16 bit ecu but on the 32 bit ones i know there is in fact a limp mode

the half way point is the normal operating temp for the bike....and you should be reading 14.4 volts not 13....id take off the pc3 and start there....and if your fuel pump is getting hot that could definatly be a problem, if your ecu is getting hot that too is a problem....the fan doesnt kick on untill the bike gets well over 200 degrees the half way point I believe is only 185...you may have an electrical issue that is heating up something, wich caused your dead batterie, your bad regulator and whatever else I have read about this week that you have replaced...good luck...Id seriously start checking things with an ohm meter....and in answer to your quesstion, not sure about the 16 bit ecu but on the 32 bit ones i know there is in fact a limp mode
Voltage reading is highly dependent on battery conditions.. a system charging at 14.4 is on the upper end of the limits and is typically indicates a sulfated battery..

+1 or some other fuel system issue... fuel pressure check should be first..

So, I have an aftermarket fuel pump on the bike...I just disconnect the fuel line after it shuts down into what I think is limp mode and turn on ignition, right?

I guess I should also throw out there that this bike used to be a drag bike. I was on the way to my work to take bike back to stock about a half mile away from my house...coming out of a turn...maybe rolling at 15 to 20 mph at most...long story short, lowered and extended bike...air in front brakes...rears disconnected... no suspension at all......drag strap...new cold tires....ALMOST completely out of the lean...and for some reason, the bike decided its spongey brakes would finally work...front tire locks up, ground, sky, ground, sky...anyway, the only damage was a stator cover and a mildly rashed fairing.....i got lucky because the fairing bolts took the damage... with the help of some Color Rite, and a new stator cover, everythings good. I drove the bike 8 miles to where it is now with no issues. After replacing the staor cover, oil, etc....problems...

I have not replaced anything electrical yet. I did put my battery in a friends Busa to make sure it was not the problem though. Checked charging...its a little over 13 at 1500 rpm.

Hey guys. I have an 2000 with some problems. I was wondering if my bike has a limp mode. I start the bike...it runs perfect until the temp gets up to temp, the the bike dies and wont start until it cools off. Recently installed a stator cover, but it checks out on the meter while running at 13+ volts and charges fine. What im thinking is maybe it has a limp mode if the fan does not come on? Im not sure where its supposed to come on, but Im guessing at the half way mark where the bike is shutting down. Mods include a pcIII etc. :please:

Just my 2 cents. Go back to the stator cover and make sure everything is 100%. Sounds like you might have a wire touching when the bike warms up.

Thanks D3. I will here in a few minutes. Since Im still new to the Busa I thought maybe I might overlook something obvious.

Ok, checked stator, everythings ok...a little more oil than expected, but oh well....the fuel pump on the bike has a regulator and return from the tank...the return hose looks like it gets kinked when the tank is down....maybe fuel pump builds up pressure and cuts?

Back