Bike just dies, throttle position switch?

whiteboy06

Registered
2000 hayabusa
8100 miles
some mods nothing special
but not stock.cosmetic mods only.
no power commander
no TRE
stock fuel system, stock motor

Bike just died cruising around maybe 35-40 mph through town.earlier that morning I pulled the bike out and fired it off,it shut off after a couple of revs of the throttle as it shut off I heard a squelching sound not the normal whirl of the fuel pump when the bike shut off. It fired right back up and I thought nothing else about it, then it happened again ,after about 30 miles or so,but this time it would not start right up,let it sit maybe a minute....fired up and then shuts right off,like there is no gas or fire going to the motor.this happens several times while I sat there,never was able to keep it running for more than a second or two.loaded it on the trailer and drove back home about 30 miles.got it off the trailer,tried it again and whammo fired right up and idled perfect,rev'd perfect.....until it reached oper. temp. shuts off and will not start aside from firing off and shutting right back down.
Thought back on earlier that morning and that strange sound,but took the advice of the peoples old posts here at the forum,that had similar problems, and took the fuel pump apart thinking the fuel pump went out. Well the fuel filter was all but mesh, the plastic was brittle and falling apart..never looks like it has been changed,ordered the new filter today....tested the fuel pump,put it in a catch can of gas, applied voltage and the pump shot gas 4-5 foot in the air.pump seems okay.
Looking around in the repair manual and thought I would check other things I have read here. Side stand switch,okay. coil ohms,okay. but then I get to the Throttle position switch and do the continuity test and nothing (yellow wire to ground)..then swing the throttle open to see if any changes in resistance (yellow wire & black wire) then (yellow & blue I think it is blue) no change.

The question is: Can the throttle position switch go bad and prevent the bike from running at all?.That sound I heard earlier that morning be the warning sound of the TP switch going bad?

Does the bike run in a closed loop program until it gets up to temp when the sensors take over?I have no experience with bikes. I specialize in japanese cars and boosting them.So please go easy on me if I asked a stupid question or two here and forgive the the long story but I wanted to cover all the questions that may be asked and the condition when all this happened.

Thanks for time and replies,
Whiteboy06
kevin

94183965_1thumb_550x410.jpg

replaced fuel filter cartridge in fuel pump(40.00 bucks, sh#t!!!)put everything back together and fired it up and she started and ran to operating temp. and stayed running for 10 minutes or so till I shut it down.maybe take it for a test drive this week, see what happens? thanks for all who replied....oh wait.....anywho hope this helps someone out there in the future with there similar problem,searching through the forums helped me.thanks to all who have contributed in the past and who will in the future...Whiteboy06

will keep ya posted on any change in bikes performance after a couple of rides.
Keep it between the ditches ya'll..

Back