Crankcase Bolt Snapped

ssgunny

Registered
Instead of leaving it be I wanted to remove the PAIR pump braket. You have to remove the 2 crankcase bolts in order to do that. After removal I snapped one of the bolts while torquing it down. The pilot hole for the ez-out started a bit off center and when completed it is evident that it drilled at a slight angle towards the threads. I attempted the ez-out for several hours even thought the pilot hole was the way it was and had no luck.

It looks like I will have to take it to a machine shop and even if they are able to get it out I am not sure if the seal has not been compromised due to over torquing.

OOOOOOUCH!!!!
Brother my heart goes out to you.
Hope someone has a suggestion.
I have never been "inside" so I cna't help much on this.
Best of luck!!

If Mr. Bogus does not respond, PM him and he may be able to help.

yeah my bracket is still on because i remember reading somewhere:whistle: not to remove it because :rulez: it isnt hurting anything, I'm sure you can still get it removed, maybe drill it out and helicoil it and put in a slightly shorter bolt or you may have to go to a slightly larger thread or something...good luck let us know what you figure out oh and dont do to much of this :banghead::banghead::banghead:

oh another very important thing to pay close attention to is the difference between foot pounds and inch pounds

yeah my bracket is still on because i remember reading somewhere:whistle: not to remove it because :rulez: it isnt hurting anything, I'm sure you can still get it removed, maybe drill it out and helicoil it and put in a slightly shorter bolt or you may have to go to a slightly larger thread or something...good luck let us know what you figure out oh and dont do to much of this :banghead::banghead::banghead:
This was an incident that was caused by being lazy. If it is something you are going to do then make sure the oil filter and exhaust is out of the way. I bought the shop manual when I bought the bike so there was no confusion on torque specs.

I am sure that it will work itself out and will keep you all updated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I bought a metric tap and die set from Lowe's found that a M8 bolt requires a 17/64" bit to bore the hole. I used a 1/4" bit to try and save some of the existing threads. I also used a 6 gauge copper butt connector as a sleeve around the bit to bore out the broken bolt. It looks like I have it out. Tomorrow I will finish running the tap up through there.
Local machine shops don't seem to like working on items still installed in the vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

It is as good as it is going to get. I ended up only getting enough threads for the bolt to make 4 complete turns once it was tight. I put some red thread locker on it and torqued it down to 12 ft lbs. I was too scared to attempt anything higher with the amount of thread available. I am waiting on exhaust seals and once they are in I will assemble the bike, fill with oil and start it up. :please: Hopefully no oil leaks!

Word to the wise...leave the bracket in place.

Last edited:
Back