Cush Drive Problems?? Help

roland5color

Registered
I have never owned a busa before but I have onwned a lot of other bikes that had way more miles on them than my new busa and the cush drives were in much better condition. When I took the bike out yesterday I noticed a slight clunk when I was accelerate from a stop light at a decent speed. I figured the chain was dirty and looser than I thought.

So today I start to clean the chain and I notice that the hub and rear sprocket move at least a 1/4 inch front to back with the tire held in place. Plus you could rock the hub and sprocket up and down to almost like the hub bearing isn't sitting flush on the center spacer that supports it. First pic below is of the marks that the hub are making in the side of the cushes. I have never had this on my other motorcycles and two of them were 1000's. The rest of the pictures are of the ends of the cushes where the hub would contact when you accelerate or slow down. I know that the cushes are screwed and that the hub should not move that much but I don't think is should rock up and down either.

My bike supposedly only has 2900 miles on it. These cushes look like they have a lot more miles than that or something is wrong with the hub, wheel or axle. Could some one please tell me if all of this is normal for a busa with this low of miles. Because if not I am going to call the dealer and rip them a new one. I already had to replace the battery and have them pay for it. I also am hearing a noise when the bike is warming up that sounds like the cam chain. I have heard that the busa is a little loud with the engine noises so was my ZX-10 but this sounds like the chain is slapping off of the engine case. Like my honda use to before I got a manual CCT. Is there a issue with the Hayabusa CCT going bad with this quick.

Othere than these problems the bike does appear to have low miles and other wise runs like a bat out of hell. Thanks in advance for the help and below is the pictures.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

At only 2900 miles you shouldn't see this kind of wear. Those dougnuts look horrible. Bring them to the dealer and tell him you want replacements. The CCT should also be good if it's only got 2900 miles on it. Have them check that out too.

Maybe the bike really does have only 2900 miles on the clock but were did the previous owner ride it to the track and make 3000 passes? Maybe it wasn't drag racing. Maybe the precious owner weighed 350lbs and just ham fisted the hell out of it all the time. Whatever the reason behind it, those have excessive wear.

btw... if the dealer wont spring spring for new dougnuts and you have to bite the bullet then contact Greg aka: boostbysmith for the good heavy duty ones. They'll last longer and there is no movement with the carrier at all.

Last edited:
My cush drives looked somewhat like that, but yours have deeper grooves cut in them.
If they are loose then that would explain it.
They are an item that needs to be replaced.
The sponsor Smith (smithabusa) has aftermarket ones that are tougher and last longer.
I can't see there being a problem with the cush drive unless it is not centered or manufactured wrong, or somehow has been bent.
They are cheap on ebay if you think so then you could try a new one.

go to neoprene bushings (about $40) at most of the board sponsors...

You might want to go with Sensei Cush Drive set up. Here's a direct link. Various venders sell them from Greg Smith (smithabusa) to Ryan Schnitz . Search around for whomever you feel comfortable with. Suzuki Cush Drive Replacement Set

Also, I think you may benefit from a welded clutch hub. Brock used to do them. It's a simple swap out creating what is known as a slipper clutch. When I added mine,, it eliminated any slop on acceleration out of a turn, also making my riding/shifting a lot more fluid.

If you cannot find one, PM me,, and I will get you in touch with someone that can. Just a FYI - remember this on that,, some that are out there are done rather shoddy,, if they are not welded on a jig to assure proper hub centric,, they will potentially warble and cause vibrations.

Thanks for the help guys. I thought the same thing about the dragstrip or a big guy with a ham fist. Just wanted make sure. The thing that really puzzled me wasn't the back to front movement but the rocking from top to bottom.

Ok so the CCT should be good. Is it normal to hear the chain slap a little while the bike is cold. It is not excessive just a little here and there. Only problem about taking it back to the dealer is that they are in NH and I am in IL. It was sold as is but they had a check list on there web page of everything that was in good working order and what wasn't the problems I have were not listed so I guess I will give them another call.

Last edited:
I have the ones from schnitz, not sure who they get them from but they work great, my stockers looked way worse then yours did...:whistle:

My 07 show lots of slop in the cush too... less then 4000 miles..
Beginning to think this is a "HIGH maintenence gal"

My 07 show lots of slop in the cush too... less then 4000 miles..
Beginning to think this is a "HIGH maintenence gal"

Thats the kind of info I was looking for to. how long do these things last on a busa. My ZX-10 had 14,000 miles on it was gear and I ran it hard. I am 6' 5" 275 lbs and they still looked like new. I sent the dealer some pictures and they are taking a look at them will know soon if they are going to foot the bill or not. Either way I am going with the aftermarket ones that you guys have recommended and maybe the welded clutch hub though.

Define run them hard ???

His cush rubbers show what appears to be hard acceleration, on several occasions.

"Hard" or not in the definition,
These bikes will go 183 mph,
10 second 1/4 mile
0-60 mph in 3.17 seconds.

If you drive it like that, it will require more maintenance, than if just used for touring etc.
More speed, acceleration, (fun) the more maintenance.

Well any type of full throttle acceleration through the gears with my big butt is going to be hard on any thing I would think.:rofl: I didn't buy the bike to ride it like a scooter. Plus a few wheelies here and there and some good old down shifting coming into some of my favorite curves at a good pace. I guess that slipper clutch in the ZX-10 worked better than I thought.

At only 2900 miles you shouldn't see this kind of wear. Those dougnuts look horrible. Bring them to the dealer and tell him you want replacements. The CCT should also be good if it's only got 2900 miles on it. Have them check that out too.

Maybe the bike really does have only 2900 miles on the clock but were did the previous owner ride it to the track and make 3000 passes? Maybe it wasn't drag racing. Maybe the precious owner weighed 350lbs and just ham fisted the hell out of it all the time. Whatever the reason behind it, those have excessive wear.

btw... if the dealer wont spring spring for new dougnuts and you have to bite the bullet then contact Greg aka: boostbysmith for the good heavy duty ones. They'll last longer and there is no movement with the carrier at all.

My thoughts exactly ...

just a thought....
suzuki has had these parts kicking around since the mid 80's.. perhaps they are getting a little hard. designed first for a 650?????? same part number....
Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R 99-07
Suzuki Katana GSX1100F 88-93
Suzuki Savage LS650 86-05
Suzuki GSXR1100 89-98
Suzuki GSXR750 88-99
Suzuki GSXR600 97-00
Suzuki TL1000R 98-03
Suzuki TL1000S 97-01
Suzuki RF900 94-97

Back