PAIR Studs

ssgunny

Registered
I went to changs the oil and wanted to remove the PAIR system. Most of the studs and nuts are rusted pretty bad so I desided that I would remove everything and use stainless cap screws with the block off plates (that I don't have yet). Well to this point I have 4 of the 8 studs out and it is a pain working with limited space! Plenty of PB Blaster and short turns with the vise grips gets it done.

I have decided that I am going to keep the PAIR system intact due to an upcoming 3 year stint in Japan. The welcome packet to the AFB there stated that cars newer than 30 years old were not advised but motorcycles that could pass emmissions were allowed.:confused2:

Here is a picture with the right side studs removed and the stainless cap screws inserted.

The left side looks like it will be a bear since the fan assembly is in the way. I have the three bolts out but can't remove it due to the temp sensor on the radiator. Is there an easier way to remove the fan assembly?

Right Side PAIR Studs Removed.jpg

Disregard. I removed the top two radiator bolts and after I removed the horn the radiator mover forward far enough to remove the fan assembly. 6 of the 8 studs have been removed. The last two will be a challenge since there is a banjo bolt right next to them. Once I remove the last two I will post a picture.

Anybody know of a cheap place to buy gaskets for the PAIR system?

Last edited:
All 8 have been removed. The far left one presented a challenge since I could not get at it with a vice grips or channel locks. I ended up slotting the end with a dremmel and unscrewing it with a flat tip and ratchet.

Again, anyone have suggestion on where I can get cheap gaskets?

All PAIR Studs Removed.jpg

I made my own gaskets - just bought some gasket "paper" at my local auto parts store...

A hole punch works perfectly for punching out for the screw/studs.

If you can't find any, PM me your address and I'll send you some, you can make your own.

I made my own gaskets - just bought some gasket "paper" at my local auto parts store...

A hole punch works perfectly for punching out for the screw/studs.

If you can't find any, PM me your address and I'll send you some, you can make your own.
Someone replied!!! Thanks omslaw. I just talked to a friend and he said to do the same thing. Funny how that happens. This option surely has to beat the $4 per gasket you would pay at one online site. I want to block it off and remove the PAIR but I am trying to get the down low on emission testing before I take her to Japan this summer.

Last edited:
Back