Would bad gas cause the FI light to come on?

hajii

Registered
Due to the weather as of late in my area, and my work schedule, my 06 has been parked in the garage for the last month or so. I started it up after replacing my fork seals (as it turns out, I've gotta pull the forks again, but that's going to be on a different thread), and it took me forever to get it cranked after having it on the battery tender overnight. Going down the road, the engine ran pretty rough, and tripped the FI light a couple of times. I was able to pull over a couple of times & turn the bike off & crank it up again, and the light went out, so I was able to make it back to the house without any major issues. I haven't had the chance to pull any codes, but I just wanted to start with the obvious first; When I last rode the bike, I had about 1/2 tank of sheetz gas in it (cheap, I know, but this would be the first time I've ever had problems with it).

Would draining the tank & running a couple of tanks of premium through it clear out some of the gunk, or do I need to look at pulling the injectors & sending them out once I establish what codes were thrown?

Thanks,

Dave

Ditto on the Sea Foam 1/2 a can in a full tank should do the trick.

What I don't know is if bad gas will cause the FI light to come on.

--Wag--

hmm...interesting;

Just pulled the codes: c00, indicating no faults/normal operation.

Mr B,

I took a whiff, and it smells like regular gas as far as I can tell...I was leaning towards the bad gas due to how long it was sitting in my garage.

I disconnected my PCIII USB, cranked it, then reconnected it & everything started up fine. I guess that I might have lucked out on the gas; I'll still work on draining it, just to be on the safe side.

Mine always sits with the battery disconnected, and the tank full of gas. Prevents moisture from accumulating in the tank.

Ditto on the Sea Foam 1/2 a can in a full tank should do the trick.

What I don't know is if bad gas will cause the FI light to come on.

--Wag--
pretty unlikely but if there is substantial varnish, it could be an indicator of plugged filters (by the varnish itself) or maybe even some rust issues..

In cases like that, system cleaners usually cause more trouble by breaking more gunk loose when in reality the system should be taken apart and physically cleaned first of everything that can be seen. THEN they can run a cleaner to try and clear the injectors etc..

hmm...interesting;

Just pulled the codes: c00, indicating no faults/normal operation.

Mr B,

I took a whiff, and it smells like regular gas as far as I can tell...I was leaning towards the bad gas due to how long it was sitting in my garage.

I disconnected my PCIII USB, cranked it, then reconnected it & everything started up fine. I guess that I might have lucked out on the gas; I'll still work on draining it, just to be on the safe side.

if you drain the tank, look at what settles out of the drained fuel.. (if the fuel smells ok, it likely is and can be reused, dump it in your car)

IF there is junk in the fuel, pull the tank and clean it, the pump and screens.. DO BE CAREFUL... static discharge can be a real bummer..

Last edited:
Back