chain maintenance update...

busastalker05

Registered
10g miles without cleaning

1101081008.jpg

Last edited:
that did not go well... :laugh: you can not drag from your computer to the post window.. you have to use the "manage attachments" button and upload.. nice try though... (btw, you can probably see the image, the rest of us can not)

yea last fall at the local suzuki shop they recomended i get one sometime this yr it was starting to show signs of were but my wallets way to empty for that so ive adjusted my riding as best as i can for now to limit the wear on it

got it... anyway, there is a spec for the chain length over XX number of links.. you need to find it and check it... Reason being is you will be better of parking the bike if it is really worn rather than run the chance of snapping a chain and sending a "balled chain" through the front cover... (will be an expensive disaster)

Rick (Professor) knows this spec off the top of his head :)

what the average price for a chain and sprocket? this has been thru the ringer.... plenty if wheelies high speeds even a 186mph run ....... yet it hasnt hit a hundred in months

112 link chains maybe 125 and up for the right one? Check the board sponsors.. the steel sprockets on these bikes are pretty durable.. if you can get a good picture of them, most likely the trained eyes here can say if it needs replaced...

(I am not much of a fan of the aluminum aftermarket sprockets at this moment)

imo, if it went 10k miles without being cleaned... id just get a new chain. no amount of cleaning u do to it now, wont help "heal" any damage to the x or o rings. but im sure atleast what you did "helped".

I would not risk riding on that chain, too risky, if it breaks you may break the engine case after it takes out everything in the way. It may lock up your rear tire and that could get really ugly.

Most of the "real damage" done to the chain you cannot see.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm not the most religious about my chain maintenance but I still only get 11,000 miles out of a chain.

--Wag--

Wow. I'm not the most religious about my chain maintenance but I still only get 11,000 miles out of a chain.

--Wag--
Thats interestting for sure. I have about 7500 on my chain...I've wiped it down once with wd-40. Lube it well every couple of thousand miles maybe, and ride hard. No clutch wheelies, just alot of rolling on the power. My chain looks like new and will go at least another 7500 miles easily. I think one of the main differences is I never ride in the rain or mud. My chain never really builds up any dirt to speak of, thats why the seldom wipe downs. And I've noticed a good lube will stay on a chain alot longer than you think. After several thousand miles I can still rub lube off on my finger. And the chains still quiet :thumbsup: I had a friend that constantly lubed his chains, and he went through them twice as fast as me, plus they stretched like nobodies business. And they were always so wet from lube they collected grit like a bum collecting cans :laugh: He went to lubing way less often and gets comparable life to mine now. I should probably lube and clean more, but I also think you can over-do it :laugh:

Back