2008 front end conversion....

8overin808

Registered
as posted elsewhere in forum ....

Ok so due to circumstances beyond my control.... I needed a new set of forks for my MY00 busa. I decided to get a set of 08's and do the conversion.

Question, will I need to get an 08 front axle or can I use one from any year?

I've already got forks, discs, fender etc.... Last piece of puzzle is the axle. My old one froze in place and was destroyed, gonna ebay a new one and just need to know the right thing to look for.

thanks in advance. if I should post this elsewhere, let me know where and I'll do so.

you will need to have your lower triple clamp bored out 1mm to slide over the forks. I just had a local guy do mine and make a jig for it. Im picking mine up today
gen forks are 55m and the gen2 are 56mm

He charges $100 plus shipping

are you using your gen 1 wheel? if so then you use gen 1 rotors with spacers under the calipers to raise them 5mm

Thanks for the tips. I'm using a performance machine front wheel and I was hoping to retain my old discs, good to know I can do it with spacers. Wish I had known about the size difference prior, I had a chance to buy the 08 triple clamps too. Oh well.

Will I be able to use my trac top clamp? or will that need modding too?

the top clamp should be fine
the pm wheel fits the gen1 busa right?
the bottom 08 clamp spaces the forks wider than the gen 1 clamp so you would need both clamps and space the rotors out from the wheel
I picked up my clamp tonight from having it machines He did a excellent job
so hopefully Sunday Ill put it together and tell you how it went

cool thanks for the info.

Yes the PM rim is from a first gen busa, so it has a first gen busa hub on it.

I'll be dropping my lower clamp off with the local machine shop next week. Sadly I'm in Hawaii, so shipping the item out is not really an option. Did you invest in a radial master as well? I'm looking at the brembo, but I know no matter what I do it's gonna hit the inner fairings at full lock.

just re-read your post, so the calipers need spacing (which is no big deal) AND the rotors need spacing? How far do the rotors have to be spaced off the wheel in order to fit in the caliper correctly?

I have by forks 08 and 07 gsxr wheels installed
I lower clamp was bored .019 all around increasing the bore 1mm
I used the spacers from zook and the stock spacer to center the wheel
I used 2mm washers to space the rotors out from the wheel

thanks for the update. My last batch of parts should be arriving soon and i'll finish this up. Seems like the cheaper thing to do is to get my stock lower clamp bored out. I guess I have to get it all apart and just attack it already.

Sounds like it wasn't just a real quick bolt on exchange? It will be nice when it's done though.:beerchug:

Back