Air Ride--How to Firm it up?

cmeb4decay

Registered
Anyone out there running an airride suspension?
I have a 2000 with 6 inch extension and 240 kit with a ride that is a bit spongy per 99 busa.

I feel like this is an advantage for comfort in riding but I would like some options if I am getting into the twisties.
I have applied more air pressure and that seems to stiffen it up but it also raises the rear end.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

What kit do you have , i have the dappincci, and it allows you to air the bottom air chamber , wich helps with the bounce and sponginess... Honestly i am debating going back to a shock. Air ride can screw up your ride bad just my opinion .

Sounds like you need a daul chamber set-up like the Dapincci or the one that MBP makes. MBP is a member here. I have the Dapincci and having the daul control is a must in my mind. One for height, and another control for stiffness setting.

Arnott Air Ride
Hayabusa Rear Air Ride System (Bilstein)

The Arnott Sport Bike Air Suspension System has been custom designed to give the rider more control over comfort and ride height than ever before. Our custom mono shock and adjustable clevis design gives you, the rider, more installation flexibility than any other system. This system is NOT an air cylinder, but an actual air spring, complete with compression and rebound capability. This combination of valving and high pressure nitrogen gas keeps the tires in constant contact with the road helping to ensure safety through enhanced control. It delivers a superior ride and better stability during acceleration and cornering all at the same time.

Product Features:

• Bilstein® Monotube Shock
• Goodyear® Air Spring
• Polished Aluminum Finish**
• 7 Different Installation Height Settings
• Adjustable Clevis Design
• One Switch Control
• 6061 Billet Aluminum
**Available soon in custom Anodized

Anyone out there running an airride suspension?
I have a 2000 with 6 inch extension and 240 kit with a ride that is a bit spongy per 99 busa.

I feel like this is an advantage for comfort in riding but I would like some options if I am getting into the twisties.
I have applied more air pressure and that seems to stiffen it up but it also raises the rear end.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Hi cmeb4decay,

Because you already have an air ride and by your description a single chamber system you actually have a few options, you don't have to go out and buy a whole new system.

Option 1
Have the bike in the lowered position, then install a plug (depending on the system you have the plug will have to be 1/4" BSPT or 3/8"BSPT) to blank off the bottom port (take out the filter and install plug).
What this will do is create an air lock in the bottom chamber of the cylinder instead of it being open to atmosphere (sorry if im getting a little to technical), the more you raise the bike the air trapped in the bottom chamber will compress and give to a degree of control. Although the bike will be in the raised position (60 to 90% raised) to give you this control, it will be more comfortable and you will find it will eliminate bottoming out and bounce as well.

Option 2
Since have an air ride system already and installed, you could change the system to a Twin Chamber setup with just getting a control system (wiring loom / valving) and using your cylinder and compressor to convert your system to a Twin Chamber setup.

If you have any questions at all, im more than happy to help.

Matt

Thanks for the reply ---it sounds like both of these are viable options to shorten the travel/rebound so I am not bottoming out on the undertail...the only problem is I need more details on how to accomplish modification--any further help would be appreciated.
Thanks

For the bottoming out on the undertail i suggest you install some adjustable links so you can raise the tail just off the tyre when the air ride is in the lowered position, Bigrod1300 has some pretty good pics of his adjustable links installed.

With the air ride you won't shorten the travel / stroke of the suspension. If you did either one of the above options its a way of getting more control, comfort and rideability out of your current air suspension system.

Can get some pics for you if that makes it easier.

If you need any help at all with you air suspension just ask, PM or email me im more than happy to help out any way i can.

Matt

Back