swing arm install question

joncook06

Registered
I have a new swingarm on the way, and i was wondering do i have to break the chain to get it off, its an original stock chain.oh yea its on a 2008 if that matters???

Nope you don't have to break the chain, if your removing the swingarm. Once you take the swingarm pivot bolt/axle out the chain whill slide right off.

post pics when your done. if your extending out you'll need to break it to install a longer chain.

Last edited:
Nope you don't have to break the chain if you're removing the swingarm with chain. Once you take the swingarm pivot bolt/axle out the chain will slide right off the front sprocket with the swingarm.

Yes, you do have to break the chain to get the swingarm off if you intend to use the same chain again on the replacement arm. Chain runs through between the upper brace and lower support arm.

crap!! when i "break the chain " is it reusable? or does a different swing arm mean a new chain? like i said it's stock size. and if i do have to replace, i may as well add extensions which would need a longer chain, true?

grind tips off orginal master link and buy you a new master link $3.00

crap!! when i "break the chain " is it reusable? or does a different swing arm mean a new chain? like i said it's stock size. and if i do have to replace, i may as well add extensions which would need a longer chain, true?

if it is a stock replacement chrome swingarm you do not have to cut it once the pivot bolt is out you will be able to get the stock swingarm out with the chain intact and then just put the chrome arm on and bring the chain around you should have no problem doing so

that sounds confusing, but i'm sure it will make since once i get my new part and start in on it. But anybody know if the swingarm is the same for a gen 2 as a gen 1????

if it is a stock replacement chrome swingarm you do not have to cut it once the pivot bolt is out you will be able to get the stock swingarm out with the chain intact and then just put the chrome arm on and bring the chain around you should have no problem doing so

This is how I always remebered it.

You have to break the chain to put it on a new swingarm. There is no way to get it out of the bracing except to break it. Look at your bike. The chain runs through the opening in the bracing and the underneath the bottom of the swingarm. Break it or replace it. Thats your options.

Mark

My advice,take it to a good shop if you have one around,pay the $75/hr fee and have them do it,this is what I did.I could have done it myself but after buying the tool needed to remove the swingarm and the time it would have taken me,,,$75 was cheap and faster,they did it while i waited...

If the chain is going through the swingarm and the brace for the swingarm then to "reuse" the chain you will have to break it. It's not like those rings that magicians use.

go to a sport bike dealership and tell them u have a busa and they will get u the right one... usually its the largest that is made

Back