Steering Damper install

boney1

The Tattooed Blurr
Registered
ok heres a question, when you install an aftermarket damper to the top of the tripple tree, is there any benefit or negative effect of leaving the stock one mounted? or is it best to just tear it off and be done with it?

You want to remove your stocker if you have an after market damper fella it will do nothing for you and kind of defeats the purpose of an after market one if you leave the stock one on Just my 2 cents

You want to remove your stocker if you have an after market damper fella it will do nothing for you and kind of defeats the purpose of an after market one if you leave the stock one on Just my 2 cents

I agree; no real reason to have two dampners

... any photos of your new damper set up? ???

here's mine... I would dump the stocker when you go to an aftermarket one.

P5283278.jpg

looks like the one from AIM that I been eyeing up-MXL dash, pretty friggin hot stuff!:bowdown:

I went with Ohlins damper w/tank mount like Commuta so I can adjust from "lah-dee-daah" softy setting to "Ya neva gonna catch ME, COPPA!":moon: stiffness for high-speed manuevers:laugh:

just dont try to take the tank off....for anything:banghead:

MXL_Laterale.jpg

bdaypresents 003.jpg

sorry guys, I didn't notice the replies in here...

Yea, it's the MXL Pista dash/datalogger made by Aim Sports. It's not a simple plug-n-play option. Their are only two offices in the US for this Italian made product. The East coast office has a few numb nuts working there. The West coast office actually has one real technical guy. Nice to speak with but unless you know technicaly what you're trying to do they're not a source for recommendations. I had to come up with how I thought to lay things out and then bounce it off of him to see if he agreed that it was possible or not. When I got mine a few years back I learned to just do it on my own. Things may have improved since then but I don't know.

As for the price... it wasn't cheap. At the time though I was looking at a few options which were AIM, Motec, Pi, or Racepack. For the dimensional size, options (channel inputs, mhz), package (sensors, wire harness), options (x6 visible high/low alarms, progressive shift light), harware, software (data analysis), price, availability. The Aim sports is what I ended up with.

On a different note, like big diesel said with a top mount damper it becomes a real hassle to open the tank. It's not the end of the world but I know for me, I go in there often enough that I curse the damn damper each time.

Hi, jus to check whether does e aftermarket damper screws need be to tighten to let it loose a little bit?

Hi, jus to check whether does e aftermarket damper screws need be to tighten to let it loose a little bit?

I'm not sure what you mean... All of the mounting bolts/screws need to be tight al the time. Adjustable dampers have a seperate adjuster knob to loosen or tighten the damping.

I'm not sure what you mean... All of the mounting bolts/screws need to be tight al the time. Adjustable dampers have a seperate adjuster knob to loosen or tighten the damping.

Sorry for e confusing, i mean e allen key screws.. that screws that hold e steering damper.

I think I know what you're getting at. All of the screws are tight. The mounting point between the assembly that holds the actual damper and the mounting assembly haveenough of a gap so tha the dampers mopunting assembly can swivel/pivot.

I think I know what you're getting at. All of the screws are tight. The mounting point between the assembly that holds the actual damper and the mounting assembly haveenough of a gap so tha the dampers mopunting assembly can swivel/pivot.

Hi, thanks for yr info. :D BTW i am from Singapore and nice to meet u.

ok heres a question, when you install an aftermarket damper to the top of the tripple tree, is there any benefit or negative effect of leaving the stock one mounted? or is it best to just tear it off and be done with it?

Get rid of it....only takes a few minutes.

IM000379.jpg

Back