Clutch questions

01GOMANGO

Registered
I bought the Bus with clutch mod and racing clutch with heavy duty springs. My question is that what is the spring tension rate of the stock springs and can you run 3 stock and 3 HD springs? my current problem is that the clutch is wanting to engage even with the lever pulled all the way in and it is a B*tch to get it into neutral.

Btw Im new to the site so I apologize if this has been discussed previously

My mods are similar to yours and I run mixed springs on the street. At the track I run the full set of hd springs.

It sounds more like warped plates from your description, or you stack height is off. Are you using OEM plates? If so, check the plate thickness and steel warpage per the manual. Get it to 1.980-2.00 stack height and you should be good, even with the heavy springs.

just put in a racing clutch. I think im goin to mix the springs up and see how that treats me. the plates arent OEM... should I go back to stock clutch plates?

I've heard of others having the same issue with non-oem clutch plates.

That is corret. If you have heavy duty springs you really need a slave support or a billet sprocket cover. I've seen them break with the stock springs.

got a new prob now... starter went out... prolly kickback but sounds more like the starter just cuz it still whines like it hasnt popped out to engage the gear.. or I ate the teeth off but i doubt it... got any thoughts on it

One note on mixing the stock and HD springs. If you do decide to do this you want to make sure that you alternate the two springs. Run one stock then one HD and so on and so forth. If you don't do this then there is a chance that you will warp the pressure plate.

I was aware of the alternation of springs. got good news

As you may know the starter clutch oem is deemed "unserviceable" is a false statement.. in fact my mad scientist roommate has remedied my problem for a small amount of time so i can still ride. he sanded down the clutch side of it and roughed it back up.. no more slipping clutch for a while ... or Until I work some overtime to buy a Heavy Duty starter clutch and other things. Or maybe I just got lucky as to catch it early

Hi all,

Has anyone had probs with the clutch bite point, mines is a 1999 rx model and the guy that i got the bike from had apparently just had the clutch done.

I had probs with it slipping and the bite point is almost at the limit of the lever.

Took the cover off and checked it , it all seems okay, made sure the the x2 thicker metal plates and the x2 thicker friction plates were correctly installed, they were.

Operating the clutch with the cover off and turning the flywheel/basket, you can see manually where the pressure is and the plates dont tighten up till almost the end of the clutch lever stroke.

The only thing i can think of is to install another thick plate.

I have bled the clutch up and check the push rod and the master cylinder and the slave cylinder and cant fault them.

The only thing i havent done, just incase he did not replace the steel plates , is measure them with a micrometer to see there exact thickness's......maybe since the guy was get rid of the bike, he cut costs.

Anything else anyone can come up with????

Cheers,

Colin.

Did you check the stack height? Make sure sprocket cover is not cracked and flexing

Back