HID question

BlkDrgnZ28

Registered
Ok i know it seems like a bunch of people only do hid's for the low, is that just because of the money factor of putting both in? Is the high beam pretty much useless when you have the hid low also? And when you use the flash button for the high beam is it instant on like with a regular bulb or is there any delay in that?

bump.gif

You don't need the high beam HID when using the low beam HID, and yes, it would have to power up when you press the flash to pass button.
thumb_up.gif

when I was looking to do my HID's I ran across some tech info that said it's hard on the ingnitor to be powered on and off regularly. That got me to comparing, most of the cars with factory HID's don't have them on the high beams and I figued that might have something to do with why.That's why I didn't put one in my HIGH beam. On the delay i would have to say, there is probably a 5 second delay before my bulb is fully heated up and putting out good light.

I just put a 6K in my high beam...did away with the low beam all together...now I just hit the high beam switch on and don't worry about burning up the ignitor...plus its in my opinion that your getting better results using the projector...don't loose as much light...jmho

I have both Hi and Low beam HID's and I am with Chris at night when I put the Hi beam on it is like night and day the hi beam focus the light more down range and the low beam gives a broader range across the road in my peripherals

I have both hi and low. I like using the hi beam in the day time. It makes me alot more visible to cars. I don't get pulled out in front of nearly as much since getting the HIDs. And night time is just awesome you can see everything far and near

Hi and low. 6k

I rode with a friend that said he was using my light to scan ahead while riding one night, cause he could hardly see with his...course he only had oem low on...but my hi/low HID lit up the road way on the sides and far in front.

I rode behind pbghost while in CO. Had the low on (of course)..one night I lit up the hi also and I was lighting him up like a show light. I turned it off and asked him if my high beam was bright and he said it looked like a freight train behind him.
cool.gif

Both high and low here.

6000K Low beam
3000K High beam (yellow for adverse/foggy weather)

BlkDragn, if you ever want to see it in person, lets meet up for wings some time with the Central Florida group.

6K low,  8K hi......agree with warputer.....nice broad range close up and low beam blasts down the road......and still got fukin morons that cut me off.  hope they like that size 12 in the door panels!!!!

Both high and low here.

6000K Low beam
3000K High beam (yellow for adverse/foggy weather)

BlkDragn, if you ever want to see it in person, lets meet up for wings some time with the Central Florida group.
well let me know if advance cuase i make my scheduales usually about a month in advance or know what day they usually meet up so i just don't put myself on the schedual for that day for a lil while

well i think im going to use both high and low hid's. probably 5k or 6k for both and as far as using the flash button for people to notice you i might just throw a small strobe or two up front, yes i know its quite illegal but it's not gonna be running all the time only when i wan't people to notice me and if i do get pulled over for it the $100 or so ticket it better than getting ran over and still less expensive than the cheapest drop

Just for info...

Most cars do not have a HID high beam, this is because of the cycling of the lights, HID have a certain strike time, so will take 20-30 seconds to get to full brightness. This is not the main reason though, its because the life of the lamps are linked to the number of times they are switched on and off and also the way they are switched on and off.

HID lights have no filament (its a high voltage arc across a gaseous bubble) so dont suffer with bumps and vibrations like the halogen lights do, with their thin filament wire bouncing around over each bump, so in theory the low beam HID on a car or bike, should last the life of the vehicle as low beams are usually switched on and left on for the entire journey (and they would stay on while high beam is in use)

some cars do have HID high beams, but they are often done using the same lamp, so its already on and working, some use a mechanical action within the lamp that moves the light source within the headlight unit giving a different beam. usually the headlight unit is also motorised so can adjust the beam angle higher. Not sure in the US but in the UK and i think europe, all OE HID cars have to have motorised headlights that auot adjust their level, you will never find a manual adjuster in a HID equipped car.

All this is nonsense i know, and i cant even remember my point now!
laugh.gif

Personally if i go HID on the hayabusa, i would put in low beam and leave high beam as halogen, or alternatively get a switching HID lamp and alter the wiring so the projector does low and high beam with the top headlight offering just an added halogen.

ust a thought.

Andy.

Back