Quick Sprocket Change question

jaywoo

Registered
I've got an 06 with 8000 miles. I'm thinking about switching to a 42T in the rear. Front is still stock. Will I need to add to/change out the chain also? Or is this a direct bolt on with no other changes? Oh, and I've got a speedo healer on the way to me already.
smile.gif
Thanks!!

With the stock 17T sprocket in front, you can go up to a 43T in the rear without lengthening the chain.

you'll love the 17/42 combo. i'm running it right now. Plan on try'n the 17/43. loctite is your friend

I noticed the C-130 avatar, and N.C location. I'm guessing Pope?? My wife is a C-130 Flight engineer at LRAFB. I was Guidance & Control.
smile.gif

It's totally up to you, but I'm sure others will chime in and reinforce it is recommended to change both sprockets and chain at the SAME time... reason given that old worn sprocket will cause the new chain to wear prematurely and vice versa..old chain will cause new sprocket to wear prematurely.... others on here have said it is best to let the parts break-in together as a unit...I can't swear to it being set in stone as the truth, but many times been said here....
thumb_up.gif

It's totally up to you, but I'm sure others will chime in and reinforce it is recommended to change both sprockets and chain at the SAME time... reason given that old worn sprocket will cause the new chain to wear prematurely and vice versa..old chain will cause new sprocket to wear prematurely.... others on here have said it is best to let the parts break-in together as a unit...I can't swear to it being set in stone as the truth, but many times been said here....
thumb_up.gif
Perfect answer...

at 8K miles I`d say change both sprockets and chain. And I`d recommend aluminum sprocket. Weight difference like 3 lb for sprocket only.

speedo healers rule i used to sell the very first ones that hit the US the guy shipped them to me two at a time to avoid customs hassles mine is like 3 years old or more and works perfect

Reccomended type? I know there are a few brands out there. Are they all pretty much the same??

My last bike was a VMax, I didn't have to worry about this stuff.
smile.gif

Reccomended type? I know there are a few brands out there. Are they all pretty much the same??

My last bike was a VMax, I didn't have to worry about this stuff.
smile.gif
Pbi Sprockets with ZVX2 Chain and chain tool if you don't have one...All items in stock for shipping..I have new style speedohealers in stock also..

i have 17/43 and speedohealer v-4 and it`s bad azz!!! got it set at -11.8% and it`s within 1 mph. go with all new stuff.

Back