New Swingarm, rear suspension + Brakes

jay21112

Registered
Ok, another set of mods is complete. This year my main goal was to sit flat-footed on her, so we dropped her probably 1.5-2 inches. I wanted to do it right, so I bought a few key parts which let me adjust things.

While I was at it, I decided to add a +6 swingarm, some more aggressive sprockets, a new rear braking system, and a scottoiler.

It was an expensive endeavor, and since I just bought a house, it will be my last round of modifications for quite some time. Whenever I save up the money, I'll invest in upgrading the front suspension and braking system, slam the front, and bring the rear down a little more.

As usual for me, I took tons of pics (I'll post 49 altogether, so you quick posters, watch out, or you'll end up in the middle of the madness), which I will now post with some explanations. Note that some of this stuff is a custom set-up, especially when it comes to the brakes.

Parts list:
-Metzeler sportec M3 supersport 120/70ZR Front tire
-Metzeler sportec M3 supersport 190/50ZR Rear tire
-Velocity racing +6"￾ black swingarm
-TigerRacing Tiger wing aluminum underbody air deflector +4 inches
-EK 530 ZVX2 150 Link Red chain
-Black Pro Bolt 10mm anodized aluminum sprocket nuts (6-pack)
-Vortex 16 teeth (-1 tooth) steel front sprocket
-Vortex 436K Black Hardcoat 42 teeth (+2 teeth) Steel Rear Sprocket
-Brembo Racing P4-24 billet rear caliper
-Organic Rear Brake pads for Brembo P4.24 Rear Caliper
-Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid
-Yoyodyne Rear GSXR/Hayabusa/TL Caliper Mount
-Brembo Rear Billet Brake Master Cylinder
-Stainless 10 x 1.00mm Banjo Bolt hydraulic single brake light switch
-Yoyodyne M7x1.0x20 Taper Socket Cap Titanium
-Galfer stainless steel rear brake line
-Galfer Suzuki GSX-R 1000 Rear Wave Rotor
-Schnitzracing Stainless Steel fully adjustable lowering links
-Linkpro Adjustable suspension linkage
-SpencerCycle Billet Adjustable kickstand
-Ohlins 46PRXLS rear shock
-Scottoiler MK7 Universal Chain Oiling Kit
-Scottoiler Duel injector
-Scottoil High temp (68-104°F) and Scottoil Traditional (32-86°F) oil

1.) Here is my new wallpaper. Too bad it has the glare, maybe I'll take more pics. As you take a look at the next few pics, notice that the shop I took the bike to painted all the fairing bolts red (a pleasant surprise). I'm not sure how durable the paint will be"¦but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

1_Overall.jpg

2.) Here is a shot that shows off the Metzeler sportec M3 supersport 120/70ZR Front tire. I've only taken one ride on these things, so I can't comment as to how good they are. I didn't feel like pushing my luck while they were still new and slick.

2_Metzeler_sportec_M3_supersport_120_70_ZR_Front_tire.jpg

4.) A reference pic to see how much it is stretched and lowered. I am just barely flat-footed on the bike now. I would really like to slam this baby, but I have to wait until I lower the front, as I don't want to throw off the handling. (I enjoy riding the bike far more than taking pictures of it.)

4_Rear_lowered_w_Ohlins_Shock__Schnitzracing_lowering_links__and_Linkpro_suspension_linkage.jpg

7.) Here is the Velocity racing +6"￾ black swingarm. I purchased it with the Bottom loop support, 6"￾ axle adjusters, full length chain guard, and had them weld on spool slots. Now, when I get a turbo (in the year 2040) I won't have to worry about flipping this baby"¦yeah, right. As for the spool slots, I didn't want to ding and dirty my new swingarm when I put it up on stands, so I made sure Velocity welded these on.

Attachments

• 7_Velocity_Racing__6____black_swingarm_w_Bottom_loop_support__6____axle_adjusters__chain_guard__and_
    37.3 KB · Views: 267
8.) Here is a picture of the TigerRacing Tiger wing aluminum underbody air deflector +4 inches w/ Hayabusa logo. I really wanted to keep the stock "flowing"￾ look of the bike. So, since I added 6 inches to the swingarm I wanted to add 6 inches to the underwing. Tiger only makes a +4, so I settled for that.

8_TigerRacing_Tiger_wing_aluminum_underbody_air_deflector__4_inches_w_Hayabusa_logo.jpg

9.) A good picture to show the length of the swingarm and where the rear tire lands.

Attachments

• 9_Velocity_racing__6____black_swingarm__w_Bottom_loop_support__6____axle_adjusters__and_spool_slots_
    55.6 KB · Views: 288
11.) You can see the Tiger wing on the bike here. It was powdercoated to match the body. The problem was that the bottom loop support on the swingarm was hitting the wing and preventing it from bolting to the bike. So, I asked the shop to just bend it out a bit, and voila"¦perfect fit!

Attachments

• 11_TigerRacing_Tiger_wing_aluminum_underbody_air_deflector__4_inches_w_Hayabusa_logo_Powdercoated_Re
    74.9 KB · Views: 266
12.) Here is the EK 530 ZVX2 150 Link Red chain. I'm not sure how many links we ended up using (I didn't feel like counting). However, I REALLY wanted a black chain. At the time the EK 530 ZVX wasn't available in black. It may be now, and when I need a new chain in like 10 years (these things aren't supposed to stretch, plus the Scottoiler I picked up is supposed to extend chain life), I'll pick up a black one. For now, red is the next best thing"¦

12_EK_ZVX2_Red_150_Quadra_X_Link_chain_1.jpg

13.) Black Pro Bolt 10mm anodized aluminum sprocket nuts 6-pack. Well I did want everything on the swingarm to be black (damn that red chain), so these were an aesthetic as well as a (kinda)-performance item.

13_Pro_Bolt_10mm_Black_anodized_aluminum_sprocket_nuts.jpg

14.) Vortex zinc coated with lightening holes 16 teeth (-1 tooth) steel front sprocket. Well, since the cops seem to dislike it when I try to break the sound barrier (or at least hit the 186 restrictor) I figured I didn't have much need for the top speed, but would prefer the extra zip of the different sprockets. I had heard a 16/42 combination was the best of both worlds. I can't say HOW much different it is, as"¦well"¦this is a Hayabusa. The thing was fricken scary fast before. Now it's"¦well"¦scary fast. I CAN however tell the difference in where it revs. I noticed the revs were staying a lot higher than what I'm used to. Either I was just having a little more fun with her, or the change in sprockets is responsible. To note, per the Speedohealer website, I am now at a -32.5 calibration (Using +7.5 Factory speedo error, Half tire wear, 17 to 16 front sprocket, 40 to 42 rear sprocket, 180-220mph speedo face plate).

14_Vortex_zinc_coated_w_lightening_holes_16_teeth__1__steel_front_sprocket.jpg

15.) Here is the Vortex 436K Black Hardcoat w/ lightening holes 42 teeth (+2teeth) Steel Rear Sprocket. A work of art if you ask me.

15_Vortex_436K_Black_Hardcoat_42_Teeth__2__Steel_Rear_Sprocket.jpg

18.) Here is a close-up of the Velocity swingarm. If you look back to the first picture of it lying on my floor, where it adjusts was left unpainted. Therefore the shop I brought it to fabricated some axle covers. These things clamp on and bolt through the spool slots. Very nice indeed. The only problem is that if you adjust the length of the swingarm (or if the chain stretches a lot) you'll either have to bore out the axle hole, or make new ones. I guess I'm staying at +6"￾ for a very long time. They also painted the axle nuts for me.

18_Creative_Cycleworks_Axle_covers_Powedercated_black_with_black_axle_nuts.jpg

20.) Ah, the Brembo Racing P4-24 billet rear caliper w/ quick change pads (X20.61.01, 4-piston, 24mm). Let me warn you now, this thing is crazy expensive and a custom job to fit. It requires the yoyodyne caliper bracket which only bolts up to aftermarket (square) swingarms. It also requires a narrow band rotor (which I didn't buy"¦more on that issue later). So, there are probably a lot cheaper (and better) options out there. I wanted a Brembo rear brake because I will eventually go with Brembo front brakes. I'm happy with it now (because it's on the bike), but for most people, I would suggest a different route, as this was too pricey and difficult to make happen (and let's face it"¦.it's a fricken rear brake. It doesn't NEED to be able to stop a bullet). One final note: notice that this thing isn't sealed like the factory one. No off-roading for you. In fact, try not to ride on any dirty roads, so you don't have to take this thing apart every 100 miles or so! Pay to play. Say it with me: Pay to play.

20_Brembo_Racing_P4_24_billet_rear_caliper_w_quick_change_pads__X20.61.01__4_piston__24mm__1.jpg

Back