Hump grab rail mod

Brown

Registered
Ok guys. After much consternation, I finally broke down and did the hump mod for the grab rail. Now I am kinda pissed I didn't do it months ago!

Easy as pie. Took about 20 minutes. And that was with multiple fits.

If you have been hesitant about doing this mod, don't think twice. Get out the Dremel and do it!

I just don't like the grab rail, I had the dealer take it off, and it has never been back on the bike.

Dude, what attachment on the Dremel did you use to cut the hump with.  I used one of the cutting wheels for the rear mud flap mod and it heated up the plastics too much.  I didn't get a nice, clean cut like I expected but it cleaned up pretty good.

On the hump mod I want to be a little more precise.

Enjoy. Some like the look,while others don't. To each their own. It makes much easier for those who switch back and forth from hump to seat etc...

When I did mine I used the cutting wheel and started cutting when the melted plastic started bunching up I removed the wheel and pushed the melted stuff off with my finger. I do flooring so my fingers can take the heat,but you can buy a cheap pair of garden gloves and put one glove on to do same result. Used the little grinder type attachment to get in the corners. Touched up the edge with some sand paper. Sand paper wasn't really needed. just wanted it that much cleaner looking.

Mud flap is a lot softer then the hump. Hump shouldn't give you much trouble. Just go at it slow. If not sure on your marks cut before them. You can always cut off more if needed. can't replace what is already gone! HAHA! Better to be safe then sorry. Little extra work can save peace of mind. Hump went back and forth a couple times to the bike before I decided it was finished.

I used a rototip cutter to do the primary cutting. The plastic did a little melting,but easily removed by fingertips. I then used the medium sanding drum to straighten up and finish up the cut.

Another advantage of having the grab rail with the hump, is its much easier to hold the rail to put your bike on a rear stand.

No thanks, I'll pass. I would rather keep the aerodynamics of my bike and keep its beauty as well.

The dremel tool is best used at a medium speed with either the sander or cutter. I prefer the sander as I can take off just a few millimeters of plastic at a time. Mark the area you're going to remove with painters tape. Then gently mark the beginning and ending points and then slowly and carefully remove the plastic using an inside to the outside motion. The plastic will ball up a little but is easily removed with your fingers. Do a pass first on one side, and then on the other to ensure you keep them both about the same depth. Continually check with the grab bar installed to see when it fits. This is the second time I've done it to a hump and I really like the way it looks now.

Busa_with_mods.jpg

If you haven't done the other hump mod (making the space under it available for storage), I'd recommend you do this as well. Here's a link to a kit with pics that make it really easy and fairly cheap. null

In my opinion the bike looks like someting is missing when the hump is mounted and no grab bar. It was a requirement when I got mine. Dremel with grinder and mount and dismount. Took 15 mins.
beerchug.gif

Some people like, some don't.
guns.gif

SD531973.JPG

+1 its was a piece of cake, my GF rides with me all the time, so I switch out my corbin with backrest for the hump when Im riding solo.. should have come from the factory this way IMO

Can anyone give me specific instructions on doing this mod. What exactly is being groud down with the dremel? Will this still function after doing the hum mod as well?

Here's a step by step with pictures. I used painters masking tape to outline the area I wanted to begin and end at, and then I just did a little on each side so as to keep them uniform.
Hump/Handrail Mod

Back