Pair Valve Removal

Bernard

Registered
I'm no gear head but I'm learning quickly. I ordered the Pair Valve Removal kit from Brocks and spent the afternoon removing this piece of excess junk from the bike. It provided an great insight into various parts of the motor that I may never have seen and gave me the opportunity to clean as well. The instructions from Brocks were simple and very explicit. I found tilting the radiator and removing the fan from it's mounting was the key to getting bigs hands in small places. The biggest problem was removing the valve from behind the pipes which I achieved by removing the oil filter. It took me forever and other than losing some dead weight and providing better air flow to the motor it's also a step toward the turbo I have promised myself. I just want to offer some encouragement to those, who like I did, think these bikes have to go to a dealership to get anything done.
smile.gif

you should continue trying to do more for yourself but read and research before you do, also bye one of the haynes or chilton books for it too, and every vehicle for that matter, even if you know how to do the stuff, they are great to have even just for torque specs and all.... good job diving a=in and getting your hands dirty.:thumbsup:

you are so right. learning to do things yourself is not only a money saving idea but also helps you learn more about your bike. Ive done that mod and some others.

Might keep in mind that this modification is actually against the federal law...

Some states are going to be doing inspections (and more are in line to start enforcement) so keep anything you take off..

We went through this drill in the 70's with fuel tank restrictors, AIR systems (same as PAIR), and catalytic converters... People spent hundreds to remove this stuff and thousands to reinstall it... (I made a killing btw)

you can be fined up to $10G for removing EPA mandated devices (per device btw)

as far as gains to be made removing the PAIR system? skip a cheeseburger for lunch.. same benefit..

and dont shoot me, I am just the messenger.. :laugh:

Might keep in mind that this modification is actually against the federal law...

Some states are going to be doing inspections (and more are in line to start enforcement) so keep anything you take off..

We went through this drill in the 70's with fuel tank restrictors, AIR systems (same as PAIR), and catalytic converters... People spent hundreds to remove this stuff and thousands to reinstall it... (I made a killing btw)

you can be fined up to $10G for removing EPA mandated devices (per device btw)

as far as gains to be made removing the PAIR system? skip a cheeseburger for lunch.. same benefit..

and dont shoot me, I am just the messenger.. :laugh:

Can you elaborate a bit more on this. In your opinion....is worth doing this mod or not?

Can you elaborate a bit more on this. In your opinion....is worth doing this mod or not?
Would I go out of my way on this mod? not a chance...

Basically, all this system does is pump fresh air into the exhaust system to help burn any hydrocarbons that are left from the combustion process. When it (PAIR valve) malfunctions, it pumps this air in even under deceleration and causes a backfire out the exhaust pipe..

NOW if you are having a back fire issue on deceleration?

Slip a marble in the big hose off the right side of the airbox (sitting on bike, your right side).. This is easily un-done should the need arise..

There is basically 0 performance gains to be had (or so minute that measuring them would require extreme measures)

I wonder how many stations would look during inspection or how much it actually changes air quality once removed?

I took mine off while installing an illegal/race only exhaust.

Back