sprockets

sh00perman

Registered
im stretching my bike and getting a new chain, time for a new one anyways. so time for some new sprockets. how many teeth should i go on the front or back. i dont want to go too low but im not much of one for top speed runs lol so give me some input. thanks guys

I've been looking into this, I want it a little quicker, but dont want it to be revving like crazy on the highway. So I am thinking of going up two teeth on the big sprocket.

whats stock # of teeth? i get 42 mpg right now which i really like but more acceleration would be nice since i dont need all that top speed

17/40 = 2.35 g ratio on the 99 to 07,  18/43 = 2.39 g ratio 08
17/43 = 2.53 gr
16/40 = 2.50 gr

changing the front would be cheaper than a rear gear,maybe this will help!!
ThumbsUp.gif

thanks busa crazy im goin with 16/40
Since you are going with a new chain and sprockets, a 17/42 or 17/43 might be a better choice for less chain wear. (or even an 18/45)
Do you mention that about chain wear since the front sprocket will be smaller - which will put the chain into more of an angle when going around the front sprocket?
Exactly! I've run a 16 quite a bit, but if the option is there, I'd rather have a 17 or 18.

Cool, good to know... a friend of mine mentioned that the other day to me and it made a lot of sense, so I just wanted to confirm that on the board with someone with "sprocket experience."
beerchug.gif
I'll probably be going with a 17/42 combo.

ive been running a 16/42 set up recently and good lord its fun but i ride alot of freeway and im already tired of the gas milage and lack of top end so im goin back to stock(thank you oil companies). but for the longest time i ran 16/40 and it was nice too but i miss stock.

I was going to go from the stock 17/40 the the 16/42 that many here run. i'm also a believer in changing 1 thing at a time to see how i like it. i changed the rear to 42 first, and never bothered changing the front to 16. Going up 2 in the back was enough for me, gave the bike a little more pep, but didn't make it too hard to keep the front wheel down. I might pop the 16t front on it some day for shitz and gigglez but i like the 17/42 set up. On next sprocket/chain change i may pop up to a 43 rear, but i like the setup i have.

hav any 1 tried 18/42?will it give more mid??dun need low end tat much,coz i'm more to high ways...pls enlighten

Can we run an 18 on a 99-07? I don't see one anywhere?

Was thinking 18/43 sounds good. Little more off the line.. but not much change.

I've ridden it stock for a year,I put a 42 on the rear this year and like it very much.Not too much where it is buzzing the motor too high on the highway(I have a 25 mi. ride to work)It is better around town also.You don't have to slip the clutch as much in traffic.The front end is a little lighter with the gearing change.

Back