Garage Door remote mod

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I've not seen this and had one other member ask me to post on it...so here goes.

I've made a very very simple mod that allows me to open/close my garage door with out getting off the bike.  All you need is a factory remote programmed to work with your door, some wire, double sided tape (3M works best) and a simple switch.  I think this entire mod cost about $1.50.  I've attached a few pics to give you an idea of whats involved, but I didnt take any when I actually did this on my bike
sad.gif

These should get you the basic concept though...

button_closeup.jpg

Pop the cover off your remote control unit and locate the button you would like to control. You could do multiple buttons if you needed to, however you'd need a different switch than what I used. You should be able to figure out where to solder the wires to by looking at the greenboard. I've pointed out the ones I used on mine, you will need to check yours to make sure. Simply solder the pos and neg connections to the existing solder points for the button you are controlling.

wireconnections.jpg

Then you'll need to close the remote back up, the craftsman unit I had already had a hole in it, so I routed my wires out of that hole. Otherwise you'll need to drill a small hole and route the wires back out that way.

remotehole.jpg

I actually wanted to mount this switch on above my starter button (in that blank space) but decided to hide it down on the inside of the upper left fairing cover.  

At this point however you'll need to figure out where you want to mount the switch.  I used a $.30 momentary switch I got at Radio Shack, but you could use something more fancy if you wanted, but it has to be a momentary switch.  I simply drilled a small hole in the plastic, test fit the switch, the soldered the wires up to it.  After that I pushed the switch in the hole and placed the nut on it to hold it tight, then used the 3M tape to hold the actual remote to the bottom of the black fairing cover piece and sorta wedged it in over top of the air intake tube.  It has stayed dry and never given me one problem.

Very simple 20 min mod that makes coming and going a dream for anyone with a garage  
biggrin.gif

IMPORTANT -- Make sure to test where you are going to put the button.  You'll want to make sure you are comfortable with its location

<!--EDIT|zukracer
Reason for Edit: "cause I cant spell sometimes"|1077164671 -->

buttontop.jpg

thats pretty cool.... although I have no automatic garage door.... damn I need to get a better garage.

Glad to see you posted the mod.. It was real impressive to to see it work ..and it cheaper than a ticket
laugh.gif
(inside joke)
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

so there is a road behind my house that is pretty straight and usually no cops....so one day I'm flying home (~120ish) when I buzz a cop
wow.gif
So when I got to my road, I made the turn and hit the door opener button (about a block away). By the time I got to the driveway the door was up/open and I pulled right in. Hit the button to close the door as I pulled in and was standing on my front porch helmet/jacket off when the cops started showing up everywhere
cool.gif
No ticket but I did ride with my spare helmet for a few days
biggrin.gif

so there is a road behind my house that is pretty straight and usually no cops....so one day I'm flying home (~120ish) when I buzz a cop
wow.gif
  So when I got to my road, I made the turn and hit the door opener button (about a block away).  By the time I got to the driveway the door was up/open and I pulled right in.  Hit the button to close the door as I pulled in and was standing on my front porch helmet/jacket off when the cops started showing up everywhere
cool.gif
  No ticket but I did ride with my spare helmet for a few days
biggrin.gif
you got lucky there!!!!
laugh.gif

I installed a car alarm on my garage door. I set the vibrate setting to low. All I have to do, is ride up to the door, and hit 9,000 rpm on the busa. Door opens right up, and rolls out the red carpet for me.

I just moved into a new place with security parking. So I don’t have to screw around with a remote I’ve installed a learning remote (just in case I move) the same as zukracer. However I’ve also wired in a 12V sub-miniature relay so that when I flash my pass light the relay keys the required button. Both hands on the bars and no holes in my baby!

Cheers

dude that is tight i just spent one dead benjamin on that motofx piece and you just did basically the same thing for 97 bucks cheaper. ME DUMB
mad.gif

Back