Penske shock

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Still debating which brand shock I might go with. I'm kind of in the air between a few. I've already decided on the spring so that's not a factor. I'm looking for some experience people have with running a penske shock.

What model do you have?
How's their tech support?
How long have you had it?
What made you decide to choose your shock?

bump.gif
no one has a penske on their bike???

HPC - didn't you do a project bike with one?

phierce has one.... seems like someone else did. I ran Ohlins years ago on dirt and was very happy with them.

I've heard good things about Penske and Ohlins as I was thinking about one myself. I have heard the Penske support is now better that what you get out of Ohlins.

I just picked up a two-way Penske. Bolting it up this weekend.
My Busa is mostly going to be used for touring so I felt the three-way would be a waste.

Tech asked all the basics and the lead time was just under two weeks.

I've ridden a few 748's with Penske shocks and they felt great. My 748 had a stock Showa.
If a Penske can wake up a stock 748 imagine what it can do over a Busa stocker.

Ohlins was my first choice but my mod fund just isn't as big as my mod list
winkold.gif

There should be someone else out here with a ride report for you.

Latah..

Yeah, I need to pay attention here, too.

I'm just hoping to get 4000 miles out of the oem shock. That will get me through a mid-summer annual sport-tour I take with friends. If it dies prior, I need to know ahead of time what I'm gonna want.

Customer service is important. I have Works shocks on my '01 ZRX and they have not required wear induced adjustments in 21K miles. If they don't start leaking, I'm thinking they may be good for another couple years before re-building.

Blue

Thanks guys, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I know a few people that have a drag race version but that's not the optimum setup that I'm looking for. They've also responded that tech is very good. The ohlins is also still on my list.
thumb_up.gif

i got penske 3 way,my combo with ak20 traxx dy kit,dragon supercorsa SC2,with 190/55 rearset up by local dealer,i've used abt 1n half yrs nw,done tuning ard 3 times to get best set up 4 myself...not a tracker juz street hard rider...excellent response,hard cornering in my country,dual ridin too,.....i've never had ohlins for my previous bike or penske,tis is my 1st aftermarket rear shock 4 me...had frends on ohlins,they even want to xchange with my penske n top up $$,i refuse
smile.gif
.ther's another guy whose got the same combo in the forum,but i can't recall who....he ride k6 blue haya,with custom haya logo in yellow,with tsukigi exhausts....i wish to speak 2 him too 4 feedbacks...

I'm glad to hear from soeone who's had it for as long as you have. Sounds like you're very happy with it. You mentioned it's a 3-way so I'm guessing you might have the Penske 8987 series. What kind of changes have you done to the front suspension?

I'm just hoping to get 4000 miles out of the oem shock.  That will get me through a mid-summer annual sport-tour I take with friends.  If it dies prior, I need to know ahead of time what I'm gonna want.

Blue
Blue,

There is not really a problem with an early death on the stockers. They just don't have the control of some of the more advanced aftermarket shocks on the market. I think you'll get plenty of miles out of it. Heck you can buy a spare near new take off for $75 or less.

yup,i'm indeed very happy  
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

bowdown.gif
....i used AK20 by traxxion dynamics with 1.1kg spring by T.D,valves,with an xtra inner tube...u can check it out at Traxxion dynamics.com..now they even hav the new AK20 Gas charged forks,very good feedbacks from its forum itself,very tempting, buyin it would cost a hole in my pocket....  
lurk.gif
in my local dealer,the quoted me ard SGD$4Gs....
guns.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I'm just hoping to get 4000 miles out of the oem shock.  That will get me through a mid-summer annual sport-tour I take with friends.  If it dies prior, I need to know ahead of time what I'm gonna want.

Customer service is important.  I have Works shocks on my '01 ZRX and they have not required wear induced adjustments in 21K miles.  If they don't start leaking, I'm thinking they may be good for another couple years before re-building.

Blue
Shouldn't we get more like 40,000 miles out of the stock shock?

I mean dont most cars which weigh a ton or more get 50,000 to 100,000 miles
out of their stock shocks?

Our busa's are considerably lighter and dont see dirtroad use.
dunno.gif

I'm just hoping to get 4000 miles out of the oem shock. That will get me through a mid-summer annual sport-tour I take with friends. If it dies prior, I need to know ahead of time what I'm gonna want.

Customer service is important. I have Works shocks on my '01 ZRX and they have not required wear induced adjustments in 21K miles. If they don't start leaking, I'm thinking they may be good for another couple years before re-building.

Blue
Shouldn't we get more like 40,000 miles out of the stock shock?

I mean dont most cars which weigh a ton or more get 50,000 to 100,000 miles
out of their stock shocks?

Our busa's are considerably lighter and dont see dirtroad use.
dunno.gif
Welcome to the org!

never seen a car go more than about 25K that did not need shocks/struts... but like a bike you do not notice them go bad (very gradual) After you replace them, you notice how bad they were..

I've been trying to dig up information on the pistons in the penske but haven't had any luck... any clue what's in yours?
Any chance they included a force vs velocity graph / info when you purchased the shock?

compression /rebound
1. linear /linear
2. high flow linear / high flow linear
3. digressive /linear
4. digressive /digressive
5. velocity dependent / velocity dependent

Been running ohlins on mine since '99 with great results. Sold more ohlins then penske but that might be because of name brand. Haven't had any complaints on either of them.

If for dragracing there will be a new shock on the market in just a few months that was purpose built...your gonna be surprised...

Been running ohlins on mine since '99 with great results.  Sold more ohlins then penske but that might be because of name brand.  Haven't had any complaints on either of them.
I really wanted to touch the Ohlins info in a different thread but I guess I can jack my own thread a little...

hijack.gif
what model ohlins were a popular buy for the busa? Is there any information (graphs, piston info) about them you can send to me through e-mail?
hijack.gif

ok, now for the penske stuff.... any spcifics on the models you've sold for the busa... which is a more popular sale 2-way or 3-way? any info you would pass along would be greatly appreciated.

PM me for my e-mail address... I only mention this because I can't see alot of attachments that are put on the the board.

hijack.gif

phierce - I got your e-mail thanks for the dyno graph
beerchug.gif
Looks like your damper is setup with a high flow linear piston. Since you're setup for more touring than anything is that what drove your decision or were you not given any other options? Also, from what company did you buy the Penske?

thanks again

Back