Big D's new suspension-courtesy of HyperBike!

BigDiesel

Registered
Just got this in tha mail-testing a new shock/spring combo for GPW (BIG thanks again, Greg!
beerchug.gif
) to fine-tune on my +9" swingarm-I have the stocker on right now and the collar is turned all the way down just to keep the tail high enuf so that my brakelight dont hit the tail on bumps!
wow.gif

Pretty stiff stuff-not fun at 100+ when the road gets a lil' choppy (dont ask how I know
firedevil.gif
). Will be installing this new setup right after Labor Day for a back-to-back comparison-I'm hoping to squeeze in some 2-up riding with this setup too, cuz right now Im pretty sure I'd smack the tire on the brakelight!
sad.gif

for questions about the tech-specs on this system, holla at GPW @ HyperBike
cool.gif

New_shock_002.JPG

I have been DYING for something like this.

I guess I didnt ask the right questions, most def post up yer thoughts.
super.gif

tha hardedst part is letting it SIT here for a week while I go to Cancun for my wedding anniv.-dont ask which one I'd prefer to be doing....
all_coholic.gif

not the biggest fan of airports and hotels anyway...I just hope the room aint "mexi-sized" cuz I'll be bangin my head EVERYWHERE
sad.gif

se ya'll in a week!
super.gif

One of my buddies went to Cancun a few years ago and let his wife make all the reservations. They ended up at an Adults Only hotel because she thought it would be nice not having a bunch of little kids running around
laugh.gif
It turned out to be one of the best trips he ever took.

true dat! we were at an adults-only joint too, it was friggin great!.....except for tha thousand-degree temps down there-ON THA BEACH!!!
SHOCKED.gif
so much for a sea breeze
all_coholic.gif

but I guess thats why they had 5 swim-up bars at our resort
beerchug.gif

Now that you are back, get yer play clothes on and turn some wrenches.

Its a simple mod as long as you pull the tank off or lean it out of the way. Interested in your review. I always send stuff out for testing..........like it or not let me know.

Greg

will do Greg-weather looks great all week, hoping to hit the track on the stocker this Tues/Weds then swap to your setup this weekend, and run again next week-just hope my Qualifer holds up
all_coholic.gif

ps-need me to test any Steering Stabilizer prototypes?
firedevil.gif
super.gif

n we need to talk soon about front forks-I just turned over 20k on my babay
beerchug.gif

***FIRST RIDE***

Finished installing this setup at like 11:30pm, then rode home in 48-deg. weather....i still noticed a lil tire slippage under 'hard acceleration'
all_coholic.gif
but I left the dampner settings as-is from Greg to get a base-point for my review.

The arm is DEFINITELY stiffer-I could barely compress the rear 1" with my bodyweight on it!
SHOCKED.gif
It feels different when passing over bumps/holes, etc: liken it to the difference between your avg. grocery-getter's adequate suspension and that of a Porsche or Ferrari...I felt 'comfy' on bike and actually it was a smoother ride because the rear wasn't going up-n-down so much. I had the stock spring fully compressed to get max. ride-height out of the bike so my taillight would be clear, but it made for somewhat sketchy grip at uhmm freeway passing speeds
firedevil.gif

Once I get the pic from my buddy's camera, I'll show what came up on my speedo when I hit the 'top speed recall' button on my bike after riding around today on GPW's suspension after a lil more finessing on my part...I'm sure it was just a malfunction-darn those faulty speedometers!

(GPW's suspension is the one on top-with the short blue Hyperco Spring)

Hyperbike_Shock_008.jpg

oh yeah-some "step-by-step" for those that are curious:

*have bike on front stand, bellywing removed, with small jack for lifting/lowering rear end*

1)remove tank screws and prop tank
2)remove front seat
3)loosen bolt at back/bottom of lower shock mount
4)remove bolt from rear dogbones/lower links
5)swing lower shock mount down/out of the way

Hyperbike_Shock_002.jpg

before you go: WTF happened to your dogbones???
i had to remove material to clear the lower brace/bellywing mount. wanted to keep it for jacking the bike up for well-shid like this. switching to adjustable links soon
beerchug.gif

here's the lower shock mount out of the way-decided later that if left in frame mount, n disconnected from links instead, would have been easier to remove...or you can just yank tha whole darn thing out
all_coholic.gif

Hyperbike_Shock_004.jpg

top of shock-this bolt is accessed from under yo seat-so lay off the burritos at least a day before otherwise you'll sorry!
wow.gif

Hyperbike_Shock_001.jpg

I dunno about stock pipes but I had to remove my exhaust from the header at the rear collector. Thats where you access the shocks lower bolts from on the right side.

Hyperbike_Shock_005.jpg

*continued*
1)remove tank screws and prop tank
2)remove front seat
3)loosen bolt at back/bottom of lower shock mount
4)remove bolt from rear dogbones/lower links
5)swing lower shock mount down/out of the way
6)remove upper bolt from shock
7)bring shock downwards and twist to slide out bottom of swingarm

8)take your new shock, slide in and go backwards thru steps 7 to 1.
all_coholic.gif

Hyperbike_Shock_003.jpg

Back