Titanium Case Protector

Learjett

Donating Member
Registered
Some 2002 and older Busas have had a history of starter "kick back" while starting under certain conditions... when bike is hot, using throttle to start, and expecially having a low battery charge.

What happens sometimes is when a "kick back" occurs, it usually screws up a lot of stuff.  The most expensive thing it messes up at times is a broken case!  Not good news.  These things seem to be a time bomb, maybe it will, maybe it won't kind of thing.

However Schnitz Motorsports sells some cheap PROTECTION against broken cases with their Titanium ring, which fits around the part of the case that holds the idler gear shaft and idler gear.  The reason for this post is because after numerous searches of every site I could find, I never really came up with good pictures of where the thing went, or really how to do it.  For a rookie mechanic like me, I wanted to know more than, "Just beat the thing on!"  Good product but instructions suck.

I did mine this past weekend (it's the 29th mode this winter) and here is what I learned, from "start to finish."  I'm sure this isn't the definitive know all on how to do it, but it worked for me.  As I said, this product should prevent the case from being broken if the "stuff" hits the fan!

Here is what we are installing... a $30 part, Titanium ring
TitaniumImg_2271.jpg

First, remove the idler cover, then the starter clutch cover VERY carefully!
CoverImg_2267.jpg

Keep up with where the bolts go... different sizes.
BoltsImg_2245.jpg

Once the cover is removed, here we remove the idler gear.  The ring goes behind this.
IdlerGearImg_2259.jpg

Now we just pull the gear, sleeve, rear washer and wave washer straight off.
Idler2Img_2264.jpg

Check condition of splines and gearsfor potential problems.
SplinesImg_2265.jpg

With the idler gear out, ring goes here.  This is the part that usually gets broken!
RinggoesImg_2273.jpg

Here's the "not so fun" part.  Use a 20mm socket to knock that sucker on.  Might be awhile but it MUST BE FLUSH !
TappiniImg_2277.jpg

The sleeve will probably be a tight fit after this but be sure it is seated all the way.  Notice the ring is flush.
SleeveImg_2278.jpg

New gaskets, a thin coat of liquid gasket and CAREFULLY put the cover back on.  All bolts are torqued to 7 ftlbs.  You are done!
DoneImg_2281.jpg

Not trying to scare all us 2002 (and some older) owners, but there is a lot of information of this and other boards about this problem.  If the starter frags itself, well, maybe I'll just upgrade to the 2003 system, OR just keep a well charged battery, Titanium ring and oh, I also change the wires from my battery to relay, relay to starter, and negative side of battery to starter... to 4awg wires.  This should help too.  Good luck!

Good Write up and Great Part,We keep them in stock and will save your butt.

the other option is to upgrade to the newer setup. I have the same sleeve mod on my bike for the last 5 years ;)

good write up AND pics!

I have a 2002 and this problem of kickback breaking the case is disturbing. Some questions I have are, what do you do if the case shoul break in the idler shaft area, how do you upgrade to a 2003 up system? Does the engine and trans have to be removed from the bike to fix all this? I will certainly do the titanium ring modification and wiring upgrades also get a battery tender to insure batt is always charged up. all info appreciated.

Great job !
beerchug.gif
One suggestion: You can preheat TI ring in oven and put it on very easy instead of using hummer and 20mm socket.

so I don't have to worry if I am riding a later model?

I ride an '05

don't know what changes were made to later years. should I do the mod anyway as insurance?

Some 2002 and older Busas have had a history of starter "kick back" while starting under certain conditions... when bike is hot, using throttle to start, and expecially having a low battery charge.

What happens sometimes is when a "kick back" occurs, it usually screws up a lot of stuff. ?The most expensive thing it messes up at times is a broken case! ?Not good news. ?These things seem to be a time bomb, maybe it will, maybe it won't kind of thing.

However Schnitz Motorsports sells some cheap PROTECTION against broken cases with their Titanium ring, which fits around the part of the case that holds the idler gear shaft and idler gear. ?The reason for this post is because after numerous searches of every site I could find, I never really came up with good pictures of where the thing went, or really how to do it. ?For a rookie mechanic like me, I wanted to know more than, "Just beat the thing on!" ?Good product but instructions suck.

I did mine this past weekend (it's the 29th mode this winter) and here is what I learned, from "start to finish." ?I'm sure this isn't the definitive know all on how to do it, but it worked for me. ?As I said, this product should prevent the case from being broken if the "stuff" hits the fan!

TitaniumImg_2271.jpg

First, remove the idler cover, then the starter clutch cover VERY carefully!
CoverImg_2267.jpg

Keep up with where the bolts go... different sizes.
BoltsImg_2245.jpg

Once the cover is removed, here we remove the idler gear. ?The ring goes behind this.
IdlerGearImg_2259.jpg

Now we just pull the gear, sleeve, rear washer and wave washer straight off.
Idler2Img_2264.jpg

Check condition of splines and gearsfor potential problems.
SplinesImg_2265.jpg

With the idler gear out, ring goes here. ?This is the part that usually gets broken!
RinggoesImg_2273.jpg

Here's the "not so fun" part. ?Use a 20mm socket to knock that sucker on. ?Might be awhile but it MUST BE FLUSH !
TappiniImg_2277.jpg

The sleeve will probably be a tight fit after this but be sure it is seated all the way. ?Notice the ring is flush.
SleeveImg_2278.jpg

New gaskets, a thin coat of liquid gasket and CAREFULLY put the cover back on. ?All bolts are torqued to 7 ftlbs. ?You are done!
DoneImg_2281.jpg

Not trying to scare all us 2002 (and some older) owners, but there is a lot of information of this and other boards about this problem. ?If the starter frags itself, well, maybe I'll just upgrade to the 2003 system, OR just keep a well charged battery, Titanium ring and oh, I also change the wires from my battery to relay, relay to starter, and negative side of battery to starter... to 4awg wires. ?This should help too. ?Good luck!
This is an excellent write up on installing the case protector sleeve. I would like to ask a question. Is the boss the protecting ring is going on, or the part that can break when the starter gears break, the actual upper or lower crankcase? If it is, then to repair that case the engine must be removed and disassembled. Would it be that involved if it actually did break? I know I have made too many posts on this issue already, but I just got my 02 Busa and it was not easy for me to bend the budjet to get it. I want to enjoy the bike without cringing every time I thumb the starter. So any info is appreciated.
deadhorse.gif

What happens sometimes is when a "kick back" occurs, it usually screws up a lot of stuff. ?The most expensive thing it messes up at times is a broken case! ?Not good news. ?These things seem to be a time bomb, maybe it will, maybe it won't kind of thing.

However Schnitz Motorsports sells some cheap PROTECTION against broken cases with their Titanium ring, which fits around the part of the case that holds the idler gear shaft and idler gear. ?The reason for this post is because after numerous searches of every site I could find, I never really came up with good pictures of where the thing went, or really how to do it. ?For a rookie mechanic like me, I wanted to know more than, "Just beat the thing on!" ?Good product but instructions suck.

I did mine this past weekend (it's the 29th mode this winter) and here is what I learned, from "start to finish." ?I'm sure this isn't the definitive know all on how to do it, but it worked for me. ?As I said, this product should prevent the case from being broken if the "stuff" hits the fan!

TitaniumImg_2271.jpg
This is an excellent write up on installing the case protector sleeve. I would like to ask a question. Is the boss the protecting ring is going on, or the part that can break when the starter gears break, the actual upper or lower crankcase? If it is, then to repair that case the engine must be removed and disassembled. Would it be that involved if it actually did break? I know I have made too many posts on this issue already, but I just got my 02 Busa and it was not easy for me to bend the budjet to get it. I want to enjoy the bike without cringing every time I thumb the starter. So any info is appreciated.
deadhorse.gif
If it breaks, most of the time you need to replace the cases! This part give you good insurance, but the best fix is to update the complete starting system to an 03 or newer!

Just found this post as I was finishing the mod on my 99 Busa. I'm ready for reassembly but have one issue. The top post, specifically the 4th and 5th pictures down from the top, mentions the idler gear, wave washer, sleeve and a "rear washer"... the 4th picture even says "don't drop the washer in the rear". Now I'm worried because I don't have a rear washer. I have everything beside me and I'm almost positive there was no rear washer there. So I checked the parts fiche and it doesn't show a rear washer either. The only thing I can think of is Suzuki began installing a washer during assembly in order to better line up the gears, but it's not an official part. Aany comments?

Back