HELP...Need Advice to fix Hump

markhurd101

Registered
Guys

Last night my buddy Glen and I were working on readjusting the HMF high mount pipes so that they would allow the bottom of the fairing to re-connect properly. To make a long story short we finally got it to work, but we had to take the tail off to do so. Here is where the problem occurs, when we put every thing back together we forgot to re-connect the key latch wire back to the latch. It was late we were tired and I place the hump back on! Holy Sh**T!! So can anyone contribute to me un-screwing myself? It is funny to me now, but last night I went from this
eek2.gif
 to this
firedevil.gif
 and funny was not an option.

Use the search function but as a back up - on the right side of the bike, loosen the frankenstien bolt and remove the tail fastener near the seat. If you have small hands, you should be able to pry the tail away from the bike and get you hand up moving toward the back to push the lock left. It will help if you have two people doing this, one to help pry the tail and also put some pulling pressure on the hump so that when you do pop the latch it will come off.

Been done plenty of times....

Why do people insist on removing the cable when you can just take out the 2 screws and never have this happen to you???

(brendanp @ Dec. 17 2006,10:41) Why do people insist on removing the cable when you can just take out the 2 screws and never have this happen to you???
Brother Brendan,
Because sometimes, learning has to be a little painful...
smile.gif
cool.gif

Thank you for the support guys... I am going with the hanger as a latch form the right side of the bike. I love this site.

(MC MUSTANG @ Dec. 17 2006,11:48)
(brendanp @ Dec. 17 2006,10:41) Why do people insist on removing the cable when you can just take out the 2 screws and never have this happen to you???
Brother Brendan,
Because sometimes, learning has to be a little painful...
smile.gif
cool.gif
beerchug.gif
such is life.

Good luck! this is why i read the thread before jumping a project! No matter what you can think of someone here has done it! But what's great is those cats that been there aren't afraid to say/pass wisdom!!!HAYABUSA.ORG is the BOMB!!!...NCpanther01

By the way, this was helpful, I start to rip my 07 apart last night. I just picked it up on Saturday afternoon and when I took off the tail section, I just unscrewed the 2 screws that holds the lock mechanism in place. Thanks for the advice!! This board rocks.

OK, I finally got to it and it was harder that I thought. I tried everthing that was recommended and the one thing that worke took 10min. v.s. 3 hours. I had to cut the under belly but I used the flapp cutting method instead of just making a big hole. Teh I used a plastic welder some excess plastic and epoxy to smoth the pieces out. I will post some of the pics to help future generation from screwing up and all. But the bottom line is that you guys were a wealth of knowledge and I cannot that you enough.

NEXT TIME,DONT TOUCH TEH DANG CABLE...AND JUST REMOVE THE 2 SCREWS!!!
Are we clear now??

Glad u got it to work,and yes,this place is great,dont think I never made a dummy move....

(brendanp @ Dec. 17 2006,09:41) Why do people insist on removing the cable when you can just take out the 2 screws and never have this happen to you???
tounge.gif

Remember the old bud light commercial?

why ask why.

That's why I have it in my sig.
laugh.gif

Easy mistake. Easy fix. All good.

runeight...

(markhurd101 @ Dec. 23 2006,08
super.gif
) Brendanp

Trust me when I say the screw will be the only way I take the locking mechanism off from now on.
Just put tape over the locking mechanism when you unhook the cable. The tape will prevent you from putting the hump or seat back on if you forget to hook the cable back up.
cool.gif

So the wife and I were going to take the bike out to go riding with some friends, and she's never been on the bike for more than a couple miles.... had the hump on, I go downstairs, turn the key on the hump, and nothing. DAMN... So i went out w/o the wife, lol. But now i need to figure out how to get it off.... is the cutting method the easiest way??
guns.gif

Ok, after trying to sneak my way through the front seat and taking the tool pounch out, there was no way that I was reaching all that far back.  I tried through the sides of the fairings - no way.  I did not want to drill a hole on the bottom of the bike.  And then I realized my LED taillight setup has one of the bulb sockets removed.  I took a 1" drill bit through that hole and made 3 holes in the plastic that is just behind the tail light.  That allowed me to take a threaded rod and unlock it.  Then I cleaned up the holes with a razor and if it ever happens again I can just take two screws off for my tail light and go in through there.  I also put some crazy glue on the ball and where the cable clips in.

P1070002__Small_.JPG

Back