Electric supercharger

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
Hello Busa Brothers, I am totally new to Motorcycles so Please excuse my stupidity...I am a good mechanic But the Busa is a different animal to me.... I was looking on the net , looking at a different way to generate some HP.. biggest bang for the buck. And found this site .. I was wondering what you thought about this for the busa.. The guys at the site ,say the Harley boys sometimes use them soooo??? www.electricsupercharger.com I was always told that the dumbest question is the one you dont ask..... Thanks and please dont rag on me too bad.
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
PR

(PocketRocket @ Dec. 05 2006,21:39)  I was always told that the dumbest question is the one you dont ask.....  
That sounds good and all, but I've heard some pretty dumb questions in the past.

Yeah dont try it I've heard of those before and that blade that spins if it comes apart and is after the filter it will more than likely end up in the motor
wow.gif

Dont waste your money like everyone else said. That wont produce anymore power then the ram air ducts already in your facia. Technically you could make a electric supercharger work but for the volume and cfm you would need to produce any kind of power , the electric motor would be HUGE!!!!

Attach your wife's hair dryer to the front of the intake tube. You'll get the same gains and its cheaper. No comment on the Hardly guys.

there is a reason turbo kits cost $3000 and up, because you CANT do the same thing for $300, if you could turbo kits would only be $300

(DonnieF @ Dec. 05 2006,20:28) Dont waste your money like everyone else said. That wont produce anymore power then the ram air ducts already in your facia. Technically you could make a electric supercharger work but for the volume and cfm you would need to produce any kind of power , the electric motor would be HUGE!!!!
Well said, you just can't produce enough air (that the bike needs) with an electric super charger.  Conceptually, maybe, but in reality too much energy is required to spin the motor.

I have a feeling though that technology will catch up, and one day we will have electric superchargers.  Good ones now only produce about 1-1.5 psi boost.  That's only good for a few hp, not really worth the effort....but one day!!!

Turbos spin at upwards of 150,000 RPM  
eek2.gif
 so to get an electric motor to spin that fast would be a miracle.  So you'd need a gear reduction, which induces friction and heat, which requires even more power and so on and so on.  Superchargers use gears or belts to spin, and they create compression usually from a larger area than turbos, and usually have a gear reduction to make them spin faster than the engine too.

Here's an interesting read:

Electric supercharger company FAQ

I have been looking into building an electric supercharger for my Toyo Tundra.

I am planning on using the compressor side of a large turbo with a GM starter motor and a 4-6 to one gear reducer in reverse.

I figure this will be good for 3-4 psi boost at WOT for about 10- 15 seconds.

I have experimented with induction fans like the one on the electricsupercharger site.......they work great! That is they can produce a pound or two at idle but as soon as you are at 1/4 throttle the electric motor can not spin fast enough to maintain boost and the system goes into vacume, now your motor is faced with having to drag the electric motor fan to obtain air and you loose HP.
So if you need boost at idle it will be well worth it!

Go with a home built turbo kit if you have skills and a bit of time, I wil be in my turbo kit about 500$ fabing everything and with the used Garrett T28 and hopefully will have around 250HP.

Good luck!

JH

They already have electric superchargers already , not JUNK , real superchargers that produce 20psi. But they are actually an electric motor coupled to a roots style 8-71 blower. They are used on EMD's (Big diesel engines) they are also remote located and why the need for the electric motor and the electric motor is HUGE!!!

Jonny Hotnuts
Hate to burst your bubble but a starter motor wont run continuous for very long , it will be burned up in a matter of minutes. You might want to look into a centerfugul water pump motor instead. Or if you want to make real power cheap , just buy a nitrous kit ... anyway goodluck with your venture

(DonnieF @ Dec. 06 2006,09:35) They already have electric superchargers already , not JUNK , real superchargers that produce 20psi. But they are actually an electric motor coupled to a roots style 8-71 blower. They are used on EMD's (Big diesel engines) they are also remote located and why the need for the electric motor and the electric motor is HUGE!!!

Jonny Hotnuts
Hate to burst your bubble but a starter motor wont run continuous for very long , it will be burned up in a matter of minutes. You might want to look into a centerfugul water pump motor instead. Or if you want to make real power cheap , just buy a nitrous kit ... anyway goodluck with your venture
Key words here are electric motor coupled to a roots style blower[/Quote] That's some big heavy stuff!!!

DonnieF

I figure this will be good for 3-4 psi boost at WOT for about 10- 15 seconds[/Quote]

This is why I said 10-15 seconds, it is not ment for constant use, just beating the guy with the big muffler Honda every now and again.

True that if I wanted to add HP Nos would be a quick fix, I could also buy the TRD supercharger kit for the Tundra......but building a system from your own design and having it work is for me more rewarding than the performance gains.

JH

Thanks for the input .I have years past built a few blown motors ( B&M mega blower, Wiend 4-71 etc ) but just now getting back into the need for speed ( its like a Drug!!) This is my first bike and it is plent fast (FOR NOW) !! It does have Nos and a few other goodies But would like to slowly get a few more ponies.. Has anyone bolted on a Procharger to a busa? I know its belt driven and maybe that creates an issue ..Anyhow thanks for all the input nan nu nan nu!!!
beerchug.gif

There is a supercharger for the Busa, but turbos are much more common.  Use the Search to find out more. There are Turbo Busa's out there with 700hp!!! More streetable versions around 300-400 hp, should be plenty fast.

Back