airbox question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I did my TB sync, went ahead and recharged the K&N. I went to reassemble and noticed this. What is that for? I don't know how I missed it when I did the PAIR removal and small airbox mod. Anyway what the he!! is it?

Don

airbox.jpg

Paul,
No, the crankcase vent tube is on the back of the airbox. This is on the front between the RAM air tubes.

Don

(Mr. Anderson @ Nov. 12 2006,13:46) if it's the lowest point of the box I would venture to say that is would be for water run-out .
It is the lowest point in the front of the box, but the water drain at the back of the box has a bulb on it. I am wondering if I can plug that hole or what?

Don

Look at it this way Don, look at it as if it were mounted on the bike, the front of the airbox probably sits lower than that rear bulb does, especially as water would flow, I would just say, you have to ask yourself, do you ever ride in the rain? If not, go ahead and plug it, if you do ride in the rain I would rethink it.  I doubt you could hydrolock our engine unless you sucked in A LOT of water, possible but I've never heard of a example? anyone else? but would you want to chance it?

Don,

I'm pretty sure it is open to use as a drain for water blown in the air intake wihen it is raining. I looked on my spare box and it is in the unfiltered area of the box so there is no need to plug it. I plan on pulling mine apart tonight so I can confirm for you then.

Rick

(Professor @ Nov. 12 2006,14:28) Don,

I'm pretty sure it is open to use as a drain for water blown in the air intake wihen it is raining. I looked on my spare box and it is in the unfiltered area of the box so there is no need to plug it. I plan on pulling mine apart tonight so I can confirm for you then.

Rick
Rick,
Thanks. I just put mine back together. I am letting her warm up so I can re-adjust the idle the take a quick test ride to see if I notice any difference since I sync'd the TBs. They were waaayyyyyy out.

Don

Holy deja-vu batman.

I posted this exact question like one week ago.
(That was my way of saying, should have used the search button.......haha....kidding, kidding.)

But here was the thread:

Basically it's either a drain hole or a hole to relieve pressure in the airbox....either way don't plug it.

My manual shows the water drain plug as having a little plastic cover over it....and I seen it the other day when I did my first maintenance. Its toward the rear of the box (toward the rear of the bike) on what would be the drivers side. It just says to drian it everyonce in a while.

I think the airbox should be sealed allowing it to be pressurized at high speeds...if there are holes in it, it wouldnt hold pressure. Thats why I think im going to do the marble mod and maybe install a one way valve in the crank case tube.

(04gtstang @ Dec. 05 2006,10:55) My manual shows the water drain plug as having a little plastic cover over it....and I seen it the other day when I did my first maintenance. Its toward the rear of the box (toward the rear of the bike) on what would be the drivers side. It just says to drian it everyonce in a while.

I think the airbox should be sealed allowing it to be pressurized at high speeds...if there are holes in it, it wouldnt hold pressure. Thats why I think im going to do the marble mod and maybe install a one way valve in the crank case tube.
Look at the top of the first pic.
You'll see the drain hole with the plastic cover.

This is a second (drain?) hole in the airbox that isn't mentioned anywhere (that I have found) in the owners manual, and comes unsealed from the factory.

Back