Buell peg mod

qarnaj

Registered
I did the Buell peg mod about a week ago and I have to say, the extra leg room is quite appreciated! One complaint I've been having is with the shift lever. After lowering it to the point it is easily reachable from the new pegs I find it very difficult to get my foot all the way under it. I keep running into the kickstand. As it stands, I've been sort of jamming my foot partially under it and wedging the tip of the lever against the side of my foot to upshift. Has anybody else run into these clearance problems?

Good question...curious myself as I'm considering as well.
What's your shoe size and do you wear heavy boots?

I wear a size 13 in the ICON Super Duty 2 boots (rather large) and have no prob now but concerned if I go w/ this mod.

I wear a size 10 and always wear work boots when I ride. They're about 3 inches from top to bottom where my foot hits the shifter.

I wear 10-1/2 to 11 and I have not had a problem getting my toe under the shift lever. Maybe I didn't lower the shaft as much as you did?

I found myself having to shift "pigeon-toed" because the Buell pegs move your feet outward a little and the shifter becomes too short as well as too high. Unless I shifted my toes inward before upshifting, it hurt my big toe. I adjusted it downward to handle that part but modified it as follows to compensate for the shortness.

I removed the lever and took it to a machine shop. They removed the rubber covering and cut off the "nail head" on the end. They then drilled a hole the same size as the part of the lever that the rubber was on through a 3" piece of 1/2" aluminum rod, slid it over the lever and welded it in place. Total cost = $22.00.

I then went to Home Depot and bought some 5/8" (or was it 3/4"?) clear plastic tubing, which has an inside diameter of 1/2" (that's the important part). I cut off a 3" piece, put some adhesive on the inside of it and slid it over the new lever as a replacement for the rubber on the original one. Reinstalling the lever assembly completed the job.

Now the lever protrudes outward far enough to match the pegs and the plastic tubing assures that your shoes will not be discolored by the bare aluminum (which leaves black marks on leather or vinyl). For some reason, all I had to do with the brake pedal was lower it; I guess because we only press down on it, its length is not a comfort issue.

I have a photo of my finished shifter I could email to anyone who needs to see what I described.

Ed

I found myself having to shift "pigeon-toed" because the Buell pegs move your feet outward a little and the shifter becomes too short as well as too high.  Unless I shifted my toes inward before upshifting, it hurt my big toe.  I adjusted it downward to handle that part but modified it as follows to compensate for the shortness.

I removed the lever and took it to a machine shop.  They removed the rubber covering and cut off the "nail head" on the end.  They then drilled a hole the same size as the part of the lever that the rubber was on through a 3" piece of 1/2" aluminum rod, slid it over the lever and welded it in place.  Total cost = $22.00.

I then went to Home Depot and bought some 5/8" (or was it 3/4"?) clear plastic tubing, which has an inside diameter of 1/2" (that's the important part).  I cut off a 3" piece, put some adhesive on the inside of it and slid it over the new lever as a replacement for the rubber on the original one.  Reinstalling the lever assembly completed the job.

Now the lever protrudes outward far enough to match the pegs and the plastic tubing assures that your shoes will not be discolored by the bare aluminum (which leaves black marks on leather or vinyl).  For some reason, all I had to do with the brake pedal was lower it; I guess because we only press down on it, its length is not a comfort issue.

I have a photo of my finished shifter I could email to anyone who needs to see what I described.

Ed
I would like to see that!!!!

i had the same problem. so before i changed the shift lever. i rode 100miles 1 day than took the day off than rode another 100miles. than i took note of how i felt about the pegs. i found that for me with the buell pegs it lowered my feet,and also rooled my body foreward puting more weight on my wrists. with the stock with rubber off. i felt that the stock pegs held me up a bit. eased the pain on my hands. so i sold the buell pegs.
this is just what i decovered. everyone is difrent. thats just my 2.5cents

If someone can give me the step-by-step instructions on posting a picture on here, I'll do so. Or you can PM me and I'll reply via email as I did for "basscrazy".

Ed

If you just hit the "add reply" button under the last post it gives you a field you can use to upload a file. Just point it to your picture and you should be set.

I had the same problems with the Buell pegs, put the stockers back on for a while, and finally ended up with a set of Emgo pegs. They are in between stock and Buell height, and at 26.95 the price wasn't bad either.

Back