Undertails

Fulcrum

Registered
OK, I've decided to get an undertail for my red/black 06, and I like the looks of the Mototeck unit. I'd like some advice from those of you that have made the undertail mod..

1) How much trouble is it to do?
2) What are turn signal integrators and why do I hear rumors that they may be illegal or have other law enforcement issues?
3) What have you seen for license plate brackets that work but still look good?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated...

<span style='color:red'>1) How much trouble is it to do?</span>

Not trouble, but you have to be extremely careful cutting the stock undertail. The Mototeck and most other undertails are not replacements, but attach to the OEM tail. Some good instructions here about cutting it. Probably takes around 4 hours to completely disassembly, measure, cut, measure, cut (again and again) and put the new one in place.

<span style='color:red'>2) What are turn signal integrators and why do I hear rumors that they may be illegal or have other law enforcement issues?</span>

Turn signal integrators allow a single set of lights to perform both the brakelight/taillight function and the turn signal functions. Used commonly on trailers. Never heard of them being illegal anywhere.

<span style='color:red'>3) What have you seen for license plate brackets that work but still look good?</span>

Lots of aftermarket brands, but some undertails come with a carbon fiber or other mounting bracket since they realize you will have to put it somewhere. If not, someone here probably has one or two they could send you. Some of the aftermarket ones allow you to attach a set of turn signals which would eliminate your need for an integrator.

Putting the tail on isn't hard . Get a trailer intergrator they are about $20 . Theres alot of licence plate holders out there the only thing I was worried about was they need to have a light at night.

Motorhead undertail, UFO taillight, license bracket from e-bay . The guy that sells them has a post on this board (I think the post was called tag relocator?). It hsa led lights biult in. someone else put thier license under the tail and added a led to it . If you get a tag relocator that doesn't have any lights you can get acorn lights from OPP racing (look under trick lighting) .

rear.JPG

Actually it's pretty easy. Ya can start buy reviewin my undertail for sale in for sale section
smile.gif

Then click link for example w/pics on the install.

JD

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'></span>

I just got a mototeck undertail from www.breaklites.com. They are in Mass. and had the best price I could find. It took about 4 hrs. to do the entire job (as mentioned above) and it looks fantastic.I think this is the sweetest undetail for the busa. I am very pleased!!! NO MORE WHALE TAIL!!!

My camera sucks in the garage
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|BUSASTYLE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136422896 -->

DSC02937.jpg

Anymore pics of that 1 BUSASTYLE? Please post....thanks.

Ok. I backed it out a bit and here are a few more pics. It fit up very easy and it's an exact paint match (galaxy silver 02'). I ended up getting some other plastic rivets that I liked better rather than re-using the stock suzuki ones. I love it.
I made the bolt on cans myself (I'm a welding teacher:D ) I took some video for sound because they are real throaty. I made them because the aftermarket ones were too expensive and I wanted people on the road to know I was there. I think i'm going to try to build my own high mounts, not sure if i'll go 4-1 or not. I'll post up the video as soon as I figure out how:O

busatail1.jpg

Only legal issue I have seen is with 2 and 3 is that I have not seen a DOT approved turn signal intergation kit this why you do not see them from the factory like that. Can they pull you over for it yes, will they, most likely not, same thing with the lic plate relocation, it just needs to be lite and visable from 50 feet according to the DMV.
I have the turn kit in now for a year no problems at all and trust me if there is anywhere in the US your going to get pulled over it's in my state, they being the general population of Washington hate motorcycles.

Getting pulled over is one thing,but what about getting an inspection sticker?
I want to put a eurotail with the turn signals built into the brake light area.Do they bust yer nads for this?
I live in A$$achusetts where they just seem to be getting tougher and tougher!!!

I'm pretty sure that none of the aftermarket undertails are DOT approved. The cycle shop that I go to for inspection told me that they would pass it in inspect as long as the signal and tail light were separate. The mototeck has a yellow LED flasher at the bottom of each tail light along with the flashers below and to the side of each tail light. There is also an LED just above the license plate bracket for the plate.

even if the turnsignals are separate there still really not legal,DOT requires them to be a certian size.If ya bought your bike new take it back to the dealer for inspection they will probobly stick it for ya or buy tires locally and get to know the guys at the shop this usally helps

Back