Raising the rear: How much difference

Rosco

Registered
I came into possession of a set of dog bones that will raise the rear 1 inch.

Any advice from people who have tried this, or know others that have.

I assume it would sharpen the steering a little but would really appreciate some feedback before I decide to go to the trouble of installing them.

Might they make up for the effect of a 200 rear in the corners?

Thanks
Ross

It won't make up for the wide rear, but it will help you handle better in the corners. If you are a twisty guy then go to a 180 when you do the bones. You will be surprised.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'd hate to go to all the trouble just to end up removing then if they turned the handling to crap.

smile.gif

... i'm interested in doin' this... I'm slightly confused though..

I understand the rear... but what are you doing about the front? Nothing?

stiffer springs or something?

Won't raising the rear put more weight on the front thus making it stiffer in the turns? It seems to me that it would be harder to turn
rock.gif

Won't raising the rear put more weight on the front thus making it stiffer in the turns? It seems to me that it would be harder to turn
rock.gif
It seems to me that the change in weight distribution would be nominal. After all, the inch out back wouldn't translate to much at all by the time you reach the front end.

However, the added ground clearance would probably (NOT prolly) be noticeable.

rock.gif

rock.gif

Won't raising the rear put more weight on the front thus making it stiffer in the turns?  It seems to me that it would be harder to turn
rock.gif
It seems to me that the change in weight distribution would be nominal.  After all, the inch out back wouldn't translate to much at all by the time you reach the front end.  

However, the added ground clearance would probably (NOT prolly) be noticeable.

rock.gif
I see what ur saying.....But I think that an inch in the back would be a fairly significant change in the front in respects to handling.

rock.gif

I did the mod and love it... The only bad side is a bit more weight on your wrists but its barely noticeable...

As far as handling, i'd compare the difference to when you change tires to a steeper angle tire... The "falling" feeling when you go through your first corners... But personnaly i love the effects. Plus i love the change in riding position, almost give the feeling of more leg room too.

The reason i did it was for ground clearance.

Hope this helps

I have also doe this mod as well. The change in riding position is not noticable. What you will notice is a decrease in time for side to side transition with less effort.

If you are like a number of us with Busa's that like the twisties, do raise the read. I was hesistant, but I am so glad I did.

What they said, but it will take a little time to get adjusted to the handling. It make the bike more fun!!!!!
cool.gif
cool.gif

cool.gif

Won't raising the rear put more weight on the front thus making it stiffer in the turns?  It seems to me that it would be harder to turn
rock.gif
Not so much of a weight shift (should be negligible) but a change in steering geometry, steeper fork angle, less stable bike and faster turn in.

Cheers
Ross

... i'm interested in doin' this... I'm slightly confused though..

I understand the rear...  but what are you doing about the front?   Nothing?

stiffer springs or something?
I have the spring pre load in to the last line that has improved the front end a fair bit.
The small lift on the rear will quicken the steering in the same way as lowering the front through the sliders.
The bones are cheap and wont cost ground clearance (I hate speed humps at the shops!) so I chose to go that way.

A stiffer set of front springs would benefit most Busa's I think. A lot of folk have mentioned they find them a little soft.
I don’t know if those clever folk in Japan factor the weight of the average "round eye" these days.
tounge.gif

For the slight change in ride angle, no matter what method you use, I was thinking of the Buell footpeg mod. It should add a little comfort regardless.

Cheers
Ross

I was considering doing this, but as part of a more total approach. I found a local Suspension shop that will install new springs front and rear (if I bring them my parts) for $250. I am planning on doing this first, then possibly adding the +1" dog bones to the rear. I want to start by getting my sag right. Just can't get there with the stock springs.

Has anyone experienced any loss of stability with these? In theory you would be steeping the head angle by doing this.

so where are the links coming from?

I'm looking all over and can't find em'.

Back