modifying a gas tank

smokingness69

Registered
i am putting an 04 tank on my 00 bike. the only difference i can see between the two is that the undersides of the tanks are different. my plan is to cut out the underside of the 04 tank and weld in the underside of a 00 tank. now then i still have to buy a beat up cheap 00 tank to cut up. my question is what is the exact difference between the CA model and the regular model tanks? i heard the ca model holds less gas but what causes it to hold less gas?

id like 2 know as well. i have a 01 thats a cali model and have been thinking about getting a non-cali model tank when i paint the bike, but not sure if there are anything "special" i need 2 know b 4 i just throw a new tank on.

When I replaced my stock plastics on the 03 with 04 plastics the dealer in Ohio sent me a 49 state tank. The hose bibs on the back of the tank are at different angles. The fuel cap is different. The .5 less gas is because of the stuff in the CA tank to use the vapor canister to collect gas vapors. I made the switch with no problems by routing everything like a non-CA bike. No more vapor canister, 49 state filler cap and I picked up .5 gal more fuel. Besides having the color I wanted.
smile.gif

Back