139 DB 12V HORN MOD?

Schism

Donating Member
Registered
I BOUGHT A HORN OFF "FLEA BAY" WHICH IS CALLED A STEBEL MAGNUM T-80 W/ 139DB 12V. WHEN I SWAPPED IT OUT W/ THE OEM I DIDN'T USE A RELAY LIKE THE DIRECTIONS SAID TO. I ASSUMED MY BIKE ALREADY HAD ONE. IS A RELAY NECESSARY FOR THIS HORN? IT SOUNDS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT THE WEBSITE GIVES ME @ WWW.STEBEL.IT ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I WAS TRYING TO ACHIEVE A LOUD SOUNDING HORN AND THIS ONE IS O.K. COMPARED TO STOCK. THANKS

I went with an air horn from these folks:  <a href="http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm">Wolo<a>.  Much louder than the stock horn.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127764402 -->

I went with an air horn from these folks:  <a href="http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm">Wolo<a>.  Much louder than the stock horn.
BIG B, DID YOU HAVE TO USE A RELAY WHEN INSTALLING THAT HORN? THE HORN I HAVE DOESN'T SOUND THAT BAD, BUT I EXPECTED WHAT I HAD HEARD ON THERE WEB.

the relay will provide the current to the horn required to make the noise it's supposed to.

I too installed an air horn kit...by FIAMM (available at most auto parts stores). The relay is part of the kit...trying to supply the horns with the factory wiring will result only in less performance and potential for problems.

It's been a while since mine was installed, but I believe BusaCruise is correct.

i dunno i just installed my horns from wolo, they said only if the original horn uses a one wire hook up or if i wanted to add a switch to it should the relay be used other wise just use the original wires and original button, which is what i did, and those horns are loud as hell, i wouldnt want them any louder...

<!--EDIT|SPEEDEMON
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127776958 -->

I'm now gonna have to go out and relook my setup.
biggrin.gif

I BOUGHT A HORN OFF "FLEA BAY" WHICH IS CALLED A STEBEL MAGNUM T-80 W/ 139DB 12V.  WHEN I SWAPPED IT OUT W/ THE OEM I DIDN'T USE A RELAY LIKE THE DIRECTIONS SAID TO.  I ASSUMED MY BIKE ALREADY HAD ONE.  IS A RELAY NECESSARY FOR THIS HORN?  IT SOUNDS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT THE WEBSITE GIVES ME @ WWW.STEBEL.IT  ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  I WAS TRYING TO ACHIEVE A LOUD SOUNDING HORN AND THIS ONE IS O.K. COMPARED TO STOCK.  THANKS
My buddy has those on his Honda. Yes, you need to install a relay with them. They draw more current than the stock horn, so the stock circuit will not carry the load they require to work correctly.

COOL! I THOUGHT SO, BUT I WASN'T EXACTLY SURE. RIGHT NOW IT SOUNDS LIKE A FREAKIN' OLD MODEL T FORD HORN FROM THE 30'S. SOMETHIN' DIDN'T ADD UP RIGHT WHEN I HIT IT. THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SOMEWHERE</span> on here is my post for airhorn installs w/pics. I have (5) five airhorns on mine that play music...... All mounted in the nose section. Compressor between forks where stock horn was mounted.

It is a must that you use a relay. The lack of voltage/current thru the stock wiring will cause your horns to prematurly fail as well as sound raspy.

JD

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SOMEWHERE</span>  on here is my post for airhorn installs w/pics.  I have (5) five airhorns on mine that play music......  All mounted in the nose section.  Compressor between forks where stock horn was mounted.

It is a must that you use a relay.  The lack of voltage/current thru the stock wiring will cause your horns to prematurly fail as well as sound raspy.

JD
ok i didnt use a relay and it sounds great...however since it is being said i do need a relay and i dont really know what the hell i'm doin can someone put a diagram of which wire goes were to and from the relay...i will put it on and see if i notice any diff.
thanx

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SOMEWHERE</span>  on here is my post for airhorn installs w/pics.  I have (5) five airhorns on mine that play music......  All mounted in the nose section.  Compressor between forks where stock horn was mounted.

It is a must that you use a relay.  The lack of voltage/current thru the stock wiring will cause your horns to prematurly fail as well as sound raspy.

JD
ICE: I REMEMBER THAT POST A LONG TIME AGO, BUT I TRIED A SEARCH AND COULDN'T FIND IT. WHAT KIND OF RELAY DO I NEED? DO I GO TO AN AUTO PART STORE AND ASK FOR A 12V RELAY FOR A HIGHER FREQ. HORN? DO YOU REPLACE THE OEM RELAY W/ THE NEW ONE? I WANT THIS BABY TO SOUND LIKE A CADILLAC. THANKS

the OEM horn has no relay....
the relay can be wired either to a negative or postive trigger depending on the application.
I don't remember if the busa switches the battery or the return...but that will become the trigger for the relay.
Just wire the supply to the relay and the correct new lead to the horn...you're all set.
I posted a link almos 2 months ago...and no one ever commented
rock.gif

You'll find a number of things that CAN be adapted for use or "how to" with the bike.

THANKS GUYS. I THOUGHT THERE WAS MORE TO IT THAN I EXPECTED. I AM GOING TO WORK ON IT TODAY.

THANKS GUYS.  I THOUGHT THERE WAS MORE TO IT THAN I EXPECTED.  I AM GOING TO WORK ON IT TODAY.
let me know what exactly you do when your are done...like i said it sounds fine with out the relay...if i leave it how it is will anything bad happen to either the horn or the bike??
and i have a realy that came with it, they said only to use it if i want to add a switch, but it only has 4 metal things poking out of it, wow that was realy technical, haha
the #'s next to it are;
85, 86, 87, and 30
what wire goes where?

holy crap, i didnt know you guys were using freakin AIRHORNS.. thats too funny. I bet you get their attention for sure!
laugh.gif

Back