Impression of 16/42 gears

Tetge

Registered
Last night I ran a 17T front with a 42T rear at LACR and it was my best results yet. I only had that combo on the bike for a day and the street manners were just fine. Not really too many additional rev's at highway speeds compared to the stock gearing.  But I hit the rev limiter in 3rd just before I got through the traps so, today I put a 16T front on the bike to go with the 42T rear and I took a test ride.  It is revving a lot tighter in 6th now and it is noticable, but it seems to have significantly more grunt everywhere. I have calibrated my speedo fairly well and 4000 RPM in 6th with the stock rear tire appears to be close to 68 mph vs 74+ with stock gears. So, freeway cruising will be more buzzy for sure. I will have to take it back to LACR and test the new combo to see if it will perform in the 1/4.  If not, then I should go to a 41T out back which would be optimal going through in 3rd at LACR.
And, maybe the extra punch could be addictive? It did feel sort of interesting compared to stock or just the 42T rear. I might have to add my endorsement to that of others who like the 16/42 combo, but, I have to do some more testing.
I'd tell more, but there are Kawasaki ZX-12R spies that lurk on this board attempting to keep pace with the Hayabusa as it gets some simple bolt ons.

<!--EDIT|Tetge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122866314 -->

1st gear is rather short lived but 2-6 pulls fast and hard.
The speedo reads 125mph and actual speed is right around 100mph with a 16-42 combo.

Back