Big/ Tall Riding Gear

The_Majestq

Registered
Hey everyone, new to the board, but have been vieiwing for a while.

My delimma is finding riding gear in my size; I'm 6'5" 250lbs. My arms are long and so are my legs, with a football players build; broad shoulders.

I'll be a new rider in a month or so, and have considered the Busa, but of course, I have gotten use to living, breathing, walking and so forth.
laugh.gif

Looking at a 600cc Suzuki, or an R6 and possibly moving up to a Busa in a few years.

Does anyone know where or who makes leather riding gear in my size??? XXL/52

Nothing "gimpy" looking (or crusier/ harley gear) I'm young man and wouldn't mind looking a kinda cool...
Thanks for all your help
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|The_Majestq
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122754782 -->

welcome to the board mate.if ya go to your local bike shop im sure they will point you in the right direction.best of luck with ya new up and comming bike
super.gif

welcome to the board...
biggrin.gif

....If you are looking are looking at large sized riding gear I supose venson leathermakes them. They alsomake custom leather... I suggest you have a look at their web page!!

6'6", 275 here, New Enough is definitely the way to go. I bought a Technic jacket they had on sale, cost about $150, incl. next day air! I got whatever the biggest size they had was (I forgot, but I think it's a 54) Go to their closeout section, or call and talk to them.......

I am not quite as large as some of you but as a former football player my build is not conducive to sportbike gear. I have a very hard time finding jackets that fit my chest/shoulders, fit properly on my back, and don't look like I am smuggling christmas hams in the mid-section. In March I purchased a Joe Rocket SuperMoto jacket...it is perfect. It has textile patches in the chest and inner arms which allow the jacket to move with me. My Teknic Speetstar was one hunk of leather that always felt like it confined me into certain positions. I also suggest trying the jacket on...no two companies cut things the same. Joe Rocket seems to have a more atheletic cut than Teknic. Alpinestars seems to be in between the two. As for bikes; I reccomend the new ZX6-R, it is quite roomy for a 6, which isn't saying much. I had an 03 6R and I could tolerate the hump I was developing in back from crouching. The Yamaha, Honda, & Suzuki are a tight fit, especially if you have long legs. Now that I have stepped up to the Busa I find riding so much more enjoyable. The power is obviously something to respect but the chasis/suspension is very forgiving. The front end is very solid at full lean, which is something that many 6's lack. My suggestion would be to get an old 6 to practice on for a couple of months. Develop your turning skills and learn to discipline your eyes so that they always are looking through the turn. Once you have mastered those get a Busa and take it easy till you feel totally comfortable with the bike. The bike has great manners as long as you treat her right...if you get out of line she will hit you with a right cross that will put you and your wallet in a hurt locker. Best of Luck!

I am not quite as large as some of you but as a former football player my build is not conducive to sportbike gear. I have a very hard time finding jackets that fit my chest/shoulders, fit properly on my back, and don't look like I am smuggling christmas hams in the mid-section. In March I purchased a Joe Rocket SuperMoto jacket...it is perfect. It has textile patches in the chest and inner arms which allow the jacket to move with me. My Teknic Speetstar was one hunk of leather that always felt like it confined me into certain positions. I also suggest trying the jacket on...no two companies cut things the same. Joe Rocket seems to have a more atheletic cut than Teknic. Alpinestars seems to be in between the two. As for bikes; I reccomend the new ZX6-R, it is quite roomy for a 6, which isn't saying much. I had an 03 6R and I could tolerate the hump I was developing in back from crouching. The Yamaha, Honda, & Suzuki are a tight fit, especially if you have long legs. Now that I have stepped up to the Busa I find riding so much more enjoyable. The power is obviously something to respect but the chasis/suspension is very forgiving. The front end is very solid at full lean, which is something that many 6's lack. My suggestion would be to get an old 6 to practice on for a couple of months. Develop your turning skills and learn to discipline your eyes so that they always are looking through the turn. Once you have mastered those get a Busa and take it easy till you feel totally comfortable with the bike. The bike has great manners as long as you treat her right...if you get out of line she will hit you with a right cross that will put you and your wallet in a hurt locker. Best of Luck!
Thanks for the advice Hero, I've been good friends with a fellow board member for over 15 years; busahaya, and have ridden his Busa around the parking lot just to get a feel for it and I must say that I love it.

I've thrown my leg over many bikes in the past year or so, helped him shop for his Busa, and nothing fits like it. Similar to the Jacket crisis I've been having, finding a good fitting bike has been a struggle, or not really, the Busa fits perfectly. It's just all the rumors of the bike being too much for me right now is what has me sorta stand offish about it. But I am absolutely set on this beast, and will treat her like a new born baby Panther; and know that it can turn on me if I don't treat it right. I'm a mature individual and the "Show off" bug has left my system, so I don't think that will be a problem.... Not to mention the money I may lose starting off on something that I know I will not keep.
I just know that I may mod the thing like crazy
smile.gif

I found an Alpinestars SM-X Airflow Jacket in a 50 (us size), my wrist are slightly exposed, but overall my gloves, Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0 Longs will keep my wrist covered and protected.

ridegear.com

Tried on a Firstgear XXLT size textile jacket, and it fit the same as a regular XXL, strange.
rock.gif

Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I'll post pictures of me in my gear as soon as I get everything...

What boots are suggested, once again big feet 13/14 (us size)

<!--EDIT|The_Majestq
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123597364 -->

I have the Sidi Strada Evo Airs in a 14 and they're great. A little pricey. $200 Also at NewEnough.com.

I have worn both Teknic and Sidi boots and I have thought very highly of both. I currently wear Sidi Vertebrae's (Spelling) in a 11.5, and I really wear a 13. The Teknic's also fit well, I think I took a 12 in them. I hope this helps.

I am 6'4" and around 350. Joe Rocket caters to us Large Folk more than just about anybody but the custom shops. I use the Ballistic 4.0 combo which is a sport/ Touring set. I have a set of Bates Sport racer boots I have been riding with for 20+ years now and swear by. It took the aftermarket a while but being able to buy decent off the rack quality riding gear makes a world of difference in the riding experience, not to mention extending my riding season exponentially.

6'4 310... i use the Joe Rocket speedmaster jacket.
smile.gif
they make them up to size 56.

I am 6'4" and around 350. Joe Rocket caters to us Large Folk more than just about anybody but the custom shops. I use the Ballistic 4.0 combo which is a sport/ Touring set
Joe Rocket seems to work the best. I'm 6'5" and 290lbs. I wear a 3XL Tall Jacket from Jow Rocket. I like the alter ego the best, because it's like 2 jackets in one. I also have the ballistic 4.0

For boots, I wear a size 16 from www.ixs-usa.com. If that site doesn't work, just search for ixs usa.

I have a textile Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket in black, size 4XL. I hardly used it at all - it fits me across the chest but the arms are too long - and would sell it to you for half the cost of a new one.

Ed

Back