considering lowering the rear only

birdaprey

Registered
I want to get the bike a little lower so my feet are flat on the ground. ( just got my Tobin seat, which I love! but it seems to cut in to my legs at red lights) I'm not planning on lowering the front , only the rear . will this help with the leg problem. just how low shoud I go? (I dont want the bike to look lower in the back than the front. since I'm not plaing on lowering the front)

how low can I go with out hitting my under tail ( top gun)

is there any hidden after effects of lowering... adjusting the chain or suspension, (already know about the kick stand)
thanks
wink.gif

I just lowered my rear bout' 1.5"......no chain adjustment. Got the dogbones on Ebay for $27 plus $5 shipping. They work great.

devil dog: did you lower the front at all?   if not... how's it look with just the rear lowered?
is it lower in the rear or is it level now. (granted that you didn't lower the front)
how's the kickstand sit now that the rear  is lower? did you have to mod it for it to lean at the right angle

<!--EDIT|birdaprey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122439326 -->

i just lowered the front of mine 1.5 inches approx. and 2nd hole on dogbones rear and it is awesome i love it. i know there is no way this can be possible but to me it handles better than stock and way better than 1 inch up in the back is the way i had it before... but this could be that i feel more confident with it lower.. but now it feels more planted and more stable than before more predictable i cant explain it but i will never put it back to stock. plus it looks awesome!!! another thing that could also make it feel better now is that i also put new tires on and messed with the suspension took preload on front to max and also stiffened up rear a little bit about two turns.. also i took compression front and rear almost to the max i think one click from max. anyway whatever it was tires, lowering, or suspension settings the bike feels awesome..

devil dog:   did you lower the front at all?   if not... how's it look with just the rear lowered?
is it lower in the rear or is it level now. (granted that you didn't lower the front)
how's the kickstand sit now that the rear  is lower? did you have to mod it for it to lean at the right angle
It seems level now..... I only did the rear. No mod to kickstand. Haven't noticed the need yet.

Headed to beach, Will post pics on kick stand later.

I lowered mine 1" in the rear,it sat higher in the rear stock, and put pressure on my wrists and forearms. It is level now and much better, I didn't have to shorten the kickstand, I also have a Tobin seat and Heli bars.

any hidden after effects of lowering... adjusting the chain or suspension
rock.gif
thought I read some where you needed to adjust the suspension a little stiffer? is this true?

<!--EDIT|birdaprey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122509956 -->

part #(LOW1015-P) shows a 3 Hole Adj Links 1"-2"-3" inch drop on schnitz racing site?

but then they say "These hole links are adjustable to Stock, 2" lower, & 3" low"

what is the 1st hole? stock or 1 inch?
any one have these links from Schnitz.

LOW1015p.jpg

can some one show me where I can get some links that will lower the rear 1 and 1/2 inchs
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|birdaprey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122515428 -->

do I have to remove the exhaust pipes ( mid pipe )
to get the top bolt out? or is it short enough to slide out with the pipes still on ?    
poke.gif
Not sure...I did mine with the exhaust already off.....I did the exhaust and dogbones at the same time. The bolts are pretty long if I remember right.

pmr has a nice selection of links,i don't trust 3 hole links, there is not enough meat between the holes,i haven't heard of any breaking but with my luck i didn't want to take a chance

i have the pmr -2 (2 holes total) and -1 -3 (3 holes total) if you have a 4 into 1 exhaust install the bolts from the left side and you can change the links without removing the exhaust,also install the rear axle from the right side,(4 into i)gives more clearance on lowered bikes,the suspension will be softer and the chain will need to be adjusted after you lower it

I agree with all those who have lowered the rear only. Mine in middle hole and works like a charm. No adverse effects at all. Feet flat on ground. All good.
smile.gif

Back