Full exhuast system instal questions

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
I wont even get into how long it took me to do the instal on the Micron Full exhaust, but have a few questions.

1) Between the Header and the Flange I was able to tighten them up enough so they touch...nice and tight (Dont believe over tight), but when I see the Akrapovic system pictured below I see the Akrapovic system has a gap. Should my Micron have a gap? Did I over tighten? Doesnt seem to have any leaks, and sounds solid, but could it be I messed up or does Micron just fir this way?

post-10-30319-dscf1834_a.jpg

This is one of "Kriegs pics showing the Akrapovic system", I dont have this gap on the Micron, Im only using this pic as a refrence to show the gap I do not have.

Also, I reused the exhaust gaskets, is this ok. around 3000 miles on the gaskets, but they dont seem to leak, but than again maybe I over tightened the Micron.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: "Akrapovic system not Yosh system"|1122125477 -->

I'm not sure about the Micron, but my HMF's fit like those in the pic,I think thats a akrapovic system.NJ.

Here are my Microns, yah they are dirty, but just to show you my clearance. They bolts are almost bottomed out, but I believe they could go another full turn...am I in trouble?

https://www.thevmc.com/ - Link no longer works

NJ is right, the top photo is of my Akrapovic system. They are fully tightened in the photo. Are your header tubes srepped on the micron system? My flanges came attached to the header tubes and could not be removed because the header tubes are stepped. If your Micron header tubes are one uniform diameter then you are probably ok as they are relying on the spring pressure alone to hold the header in place. You could always e-mail Micron and see what they say too. I replaced my gaskets to avoid any problems since they were cheap but a lot of guys reuse them without problems.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122125228 -->

my header tubes are seperate and seem to all be the same diameter. If I didnt tighten this far down, I would be afraid they just wern't tight. Again I dont think I over tightened, they seated real nice, but I didnt realize different exhaust systems would fit different. Is there a torque spec for the Hex bolt so I can check?

All I can see in the service manual for torques is

Exhaust Pipe Bolt 16.5 ft/lbs

There is nothing under header flange bolt so I assume this is it.

The pair valve---lol, well I havent ordered a block off kit, and thought about JC idea of sel-tapping screws, and purchased a few sizes and all were too small, plus I just dont feel real good about tapping into my head with screws. JC if you have a size screw, let me know, and should I use aluminum or steel screw if I use the self tappers?

All I can see in the service manual for torques is

Exhaust Pipe Bolt 16.5 ft/lbs

There is nothing under header flange bolt so I assume this is it.
that doesnt sound right to me. Yah maybe for the can to the pipe, but 16.5 lbs to the headder, I mean I think in a few days you would have to retighten all the time.

Hey Valium, I think it's normal to have that gap. I got the same gap with my Tri-OVal System as well. Can't really tell from this view though.

post_11_63272_after_headers.JPG

did you put gaskets back in there...my muzzy has the gap as well and is properly installed.

yah the gaskets are in. I took my torque wrench, and am around 16.5 Lbs on each bolt. I noticed after I heated up the pipes for awhile, and test drove her, I have some gaps now. Not as large of gaps as the above mentioned systems, but none-the-less --gaps. The Micron has very very tight tolerances, and if you look at my collars compared to the collars on the other systems, mine are half the thickness, and I've noticed they form a little, not perfectly flat, they have a little curve to them. I brought the system up to max RPM, and had it up to about *** for a few seconds, so Im still breaking it in. When I get my pair-removal plates (anyone have a good place to order them) I will re-check my torque specs, and also call Micron on Monday. Will keep this thread updated.

Anyhow, I really need a PCIII usb right now, I can tell the stock mapping aint gonna cut it, but my Gosh....what a change in sound and the performance; crappy fuel curve and messed timing set aside, this is a huge upgrade to this bike! I will say doing the screen Mod, and the Full exhaust is a big task for 1 guy in 95% humidity. I think I put in 18 hours of work in the last 2 days on the changes Ive made. Will post pictures on the general forum. Also, I really have to thank the people on this forum, I couldnt have done it without the SEARCH function on this website, and reading everyone else's past experiences really made a difference.
cool.gif

Ok, I just got off the phone with Micron, and heres the scoop if anyone cares.

The Micron collars are suppose to seat against the head as my picture indicates. This is normal for the Micron system, and I was told not to compare the Micron instal to any other system. Tolerances, design, collars, headers are very different from different company's. Torque bolts to Suzuki specs (16.5Lbs). I was told under no circumstances to jet hot the pipes, as this transfers the heat out the back of the can & will decrease performance and burn out canisters very quickly. The Guys at Micron are Top Notch people to deal with, very friendly, informative, and treat you more like a friend than an order number.

Another update, Ive put about 100 Miles on the Micron, and oh my gosh...it keeps getting better, the sound is just wicked. Im gonna have to figgure out how to make a sound clip and transfer it on to this site....the sound clip on Sport Rider is an ok example, but lacking about 80% of what I hear from my bike. And YES I ordered a Pair removal kit from Reaper at sh.org....so be patient---its gonna get removed...anyone wanna buy it...lol
laugh.gif

Ok, I just got off the phone with Micron, and heres the scoop if anyone cares.

The Micron collars are suppose to seat against the head as my picture indicates. This is normal for the Micron system, and I was told not to compare the Micron instal to any other system. Tolerances, design, collars, headers are very different from different company's. Torque bolts to Suzuki specs (16.5Lbs). I was told under no circumstances to jet hot the pipes, as this transfers the heat out the back of the can & will decrease performance and burn out canisters very quickly. The Guys at Micron are Top Notch people to deal with, very friendly, informative, and treat you more like a friend than an order number.

Another update, Ive put about 100 Miles on the Micron, and oh my gosh...it keeps getting better, the sound is just wicked. Im gonna have to figgure out how to make a sound clip and transfer it on to this site....the sound clip on Sport Rider is an ok example, but lacking about 80% of what I hear from my bike. And YES I ordered a Pair removal kit from Reaper at sh.org....so be patient---its gonna get removed...anyone wanna buy it...lol
laugh.gif
how about some pics of the system installed on your bike? i am looking for an exhaust and want to see what the micron looks like.

I have a thread with pics in the general forum, but here ya go...

If I had it to do all over again I wouldnt have waited so long to have done this upgrade.....3 weeks is a long time to think about these things.
idea.gif

www.thevmc.com Link no longer works

sweet looking bike. is the pipe black? i am looking for more sound but not the high whiney sound. i want a deeper tone. and u mentioned that you didnt do the PCIII. is it unridable without it?

Back