Tail Section Removal

busabru

Never Forgotten
I am getting ready to install the Scorpio alarm. I searched and found the installation of the Scorpio by Iceman i believe it was. But my dumb ass cant get the taill section off like he says to do and i cant find the wires that it says to use with the factory wiring connector. I am not as dumb as i feel asking this. I think since this is my first motorcycle i am afraid to break something or mess it up.

Thanks for the help in advance guys,
James

what have you done so far to remove the tail?

basic steps:

-remove the front seat
-remove the rear seat / hump
-remove the passenger grab bar (if it's on the bike)
- unscrew the other large phillips head screws that fasten the top of the tail section to the bike (these are revealed when you take the seat/hump off)
-disconnect the seat lock cable (near the rear of the bike where the rear seat was)

starting closer to the front of the bike (same screws / connectors on left and right side):

- unscrew the phillips head screws near the front of the tail section.

- disconnect the center frame cover - this is in the center of the tail section between the front and rear seats, and looks like two steps on a staircase. (if this is connected using those black fasteners, see below on how to remove + install them)

- unscrew the brushed metal rods (used for cargo bungees etc.) that are on both sides near where the front of the rear seat would be. The little black plastic covers come off to reveal the hex screw.

- remove the black fasteners (three on each side) that go along the bottom side of the tail section. If you haven't used these before it's real easy - simply press on the small circle in the center of the fastener head with a small screwdriver so it clicks in halfway - you'll be able to easily pull the fastener out at this point. (When putting it all back together, pull the center rod through the fastener entirely - so you now have two pieces, the head and the rod), seat the "mushroom" part of the fastener into the hole, then push the plastic rod through the center so it clicks flat.)

- if you cant see the electrical connector that goes to the taillight, pull the tail section off a bit (do it from the rear of the bike - you'll need to spread the sides out a bit to pull it back) until you see it, then disconnect it. You can now completely remove the tail section.

The wires you're looking for will be on the left side of the bike by the battery and near where the left side of the front seat sits.

<!--EDIT|shortBoarder
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117970105 -->

Ok i got the tail section off. It was those little black clips, glad i read this. Still not sure of the plug i am looking for.

Make sure you reconnect the cable for hump release when you put it back together, and BEFORE you put the hump back on.

Seasoned Pilot

Group: Donating Member
Avg posts/day:2.61

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what have you done so far to remove the tail?

basic steps:

-remove the front seat
-remove the rear seat / hump
-remove the passenger grab bar (if it's on the bike)
- unscrew the other large phillips head screws that fasten the top of the tail section to the bike (these are revealed when you take the seat/hump off)
-disconnect the seat lock cable (near the rear of the bike where the rear seat was)

starting closer to the front of the bike (same screws / connectors on left and right side):

- unscrew the phillips head screws near the front of the tail section.

- disconnect the center frame cover - this is in the center of the tail section between the front and rear seats, and looks like two steps on a staircase. (if this is connected using those black fasteners, see below on how to remove + install them)

- unscrew the brushed metal rods (used for cargo bungees etc.) that are on both sides near where the front of the rear seat would be. The little black plastic covers come off to reveal the hex screw.

- remove the black fasteners (three on each side) that go along the bottom side of the tail section. If you haven't used these before it's real easy - simply press on the small circle in the center of the fastener head with a small screwdriver so it clicks in halfway - you'll be able to easily pull the fastener out at this point. (When putting it all back together, pull the center rod through the fastener entirely - so you now have two pieces, the head and the rod), seat the "mushroom" part of the fastener into the hole, then push the plastic rod through the center so it clicks flat.)

- if you cant see the electrical connector that goes to the taillight, pull the tail section off a bit (do it from the rear of the bike - you'll need to spread the sides out a bit to pull it back) until you see it, then disconnect it. You can now completely remove the tail section.

The wires you're looking for will be on the left side of the bike by the battery and near where the left side of the front seat sits.  [/QUOTE]

Good writeup
super.gif

Make sure you reconnect the cable for hump release when you put it back together, and BEFORE you put the hump back on.[/QUOTE]

idea.gif

What he said and put some tape over the locking latch plate area when you disconnect the cable as a safety measure if you forget to reconnect the cable.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118086748 -->

Ignition kill wiring?

Which one? I think it is the Orange with white strip.
Where is it at? i think it is on the left side somewhere near battery and main fuse.

yes - it's the orange wire with a white stripe. It's located under the front seat on the left, where it goes into a connector with a number of other wires. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

It's not in the battery compartment per se, but more on the left side.

Back