muzzy fan install

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
I ordered the muzzy fan yesterday from schnitz and will be getting some engine ice from my local shop this week. Now, before I go and screw somthing up is ther any tips or things to be carefull of before I swap the fan and coolant? I'm sure it's simple enough even for my lame azz but I thought I would ask the experts first just to be safe. My bike is'ent over heating but the summers here can be murder around these parts.

be careful with the radiator fins - they bend if you look at them wrong.

don't know about the coolant, but I just switched out my fan for a Muzzy two days ago:

lose the horn (two allen screws), and tuck it out of the way (you're going to swing the radiator forward a bit and don't want to bang it against the horn). There's no need to disconnect the horn's wires, just get it out of the way.

Have a small crescent wrench handy - space is limited as far as moving around, and it's a bit tight for a sprocket wrench.

Loosen the screws on the top of the radiator (on both sides) that secure it to the frame. You do not need to try and disconnect the oil cooler (the lower radiator) from the main radiator.

You should be able to swing the radiator just slightly forward to get to the three bolts that hold the fan in place. DO NOT FORCE THE RADIATOR TOO MUCH - the oil cooler piping is rigid and will only travel so far before something bad happens...

Loosen the three screws that hold the fan in place and remove it. Disconnect it from it's electrical connector.

Once it's out, replacing the fan is pretty straightforward.

Good luck!

Cool, Thanks brother.
smile.gif

and do not forget to put in the small pad that comes in the envelope...it's an easy oversight.

I'm not sure if Shortboarder's way is easieist or not - another option (what I did) was remove both lowers, on the left side its the electrical connector for the fan, disconnect that. You can access the three bolts that hold the fan and shroud with the fairings off, the only one that is difficult is the one in between the headers, but I was able to remove it with a box end wrench. anyway, once you remove the entire shroud (takes a little manuvering), then only three screws hold the fan on. I never messed with the radiator bolts. Just my .02

Back