K&N Air Filter

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I checked -search- and the 1st 5 pages of this board but didn't find what I was looking for.

Some dude was checking out my bike today and asked if I had installed the K&N air filter yet. I told him I haven't had the bike a week yet so I did't do anything to it as of yet.

But that got me wondering, I know on the K&N box it says you can install it and not change anything. But since the filter allows more airflow, wouldn't  that affect the air:fuel ratio?
If I'm right, how can that be rectified?

As a matter of fact, this guy says no rejetting is required so long as you have the factory exhaust.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....me=WDVW

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114396856 -->

Hey Spigga,

I have herd from many that K&N flows almost the same as stock and than BMC flow better.

I have a K&N because you can clean the bugger thus avoiding the expence of replaceable elements.

If the air filter was your only mod I would not bother retuning.

As far as tuning goes, if you are planning on doing mods in the future, invest in a power commander.
That way you can go back to the dyno whenever you make any significant changes and easily retune to suit.

Just my 2cents worth

Cheers
Ross

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: "Faulty Brain"|1114496487 -->

The filter that you want is the "BMC"
wink.gif

A thread I read awhile back tested the three filters and the K&N came out on bottom. If I remember correctly they went in order of worst to best, K&N, factory, BMC, BMC race.
smile.gif

no kind of re-tuning is necessary if you install only the k&n air filter... !!
smile.gif

OK .. So I see the BMC is better than K&N, is any retuning required after the BMC is installed?

If your looking for a increase in performance, don't bother with bolt on's or just an air filter. Invest in a aftermarket full exhaust system, PC, small air box mod, and a BMC air filter.
wink.gif

Great, now I have the wrong filter, BMC Race, humm add to the mod list.
K&N by the way changed nothing that I can tell, I just do not have to repace it only cleaning.

Great, now I have the wrong filter, BMC Race, humm add to the mod list.
K&N by the way changed nothing that I can tell, I just do not have to repace it only cleaning.
To get the most out of the BMC race filter, you need after market exhaust, PC with a custom map, and the small air box mod.

I picked up the K&N only as a replacment for the stocker when it gets dirty....but with the K&N and some Micron slip-ons would I need a PC3....or better yet would the bike benefit from a PC3....

If it won't pick up anything it is pointless....but if I can get 5-7 HP I may be interested.....anyone have any ideas...I keep trying to look up info on the K&N w/ slip-ons but can never find any good info through the search function....so I guess some expert advice is needed here....Would any of the "EXPERTS" get a PC3 with bolt on Microns and a K&N....thanks in advance...

Back