will a 99-2001 power commander usb fit a 2005

I believe it will, the man difference between the 99-01 and the 02+ (limited to gen1) is the early years are a 16bit ecu.

Im for sure no expert, but hopefully one will be along shortly to verify.

Oh and welcome to the Org!

-D

99-00 USB won't fit nothing but a 99-00
The 01 pc3 USB will plug in the 05 harness and I heard they will run but I don't recommend it
Stock motors don't benefit from a power commands unless you have an aftermarket pipe.

I believe it will, the man difference between the 99-01 and the 02+ (limited to gen1) is the early years are a 16bit ecu.

Im for sure no expert, but hopefully one will be along shortly to verify.

Oh and welcome to the Org!

-D

The 99-00 has different connectors. They are square and black.
The 01 up have round white connectors.

If that is so, its only running at 16 bit, the rotors are different!
If you look under Power Commander, the break down goes as the following

99 to 00
01 to
02 to 07

I have worked on all years, and some parts are Not interchangeable. As well have owned as well.

99 to 00
01 to
02 to 07

I have worked on all years, and some parts are Not interchangeable. As well have owned as well.

Same here sir. I am very familiar with the differences from year to year. Just telling what the other member on here said.

99 to 00
01 to
02 to 07

I have an 01 with a pc3. Going to switch from 16 to 32 bit. So my PC will not work once I do the conversion?

Just for the heck of it I'm gonna try an 01 power commander on an 02 up and see what happens.
Lol I got 4 of the 01 pc3 USB's laying around!!

Just for the heck of it I'm gonna try an 01 power commander on an 02 up and see what happens.
Lol I got 4 of the 01 pc3 USB's laying around!!

Just a note here, if the connectors are correct, or you rewire it. You can change the firmware and make it work, for some models

Stock motors don't benefit from a power commands unless you have an aftermarket pipe.

With all due respect, very much NOT true. We have installed PCs on totally STOCK Busas and made more power, more torque, better throttle response, midrange, etc.
I was skeptical at the time we did the first one, did the tune at a customer's insistence expecting nothing. One particular stock Gen 1 went from 160 rear to 168 and picked up almost 5 pounds of torque. We realized then how bad the stock tune was for THAT bike. Putting the exact same ecu in every single bike that comes off the assembly line is hit and miss as far as the tune is concerned because of production tolerances and how bad the original tune may have been in the first place. There is no substitute for a proper custom dyno tune . . .:laugh:

My Australian-delivered K1 runs the stock wiring harness and a 2001-specific PC 3 with an 02-07 32-bit ecu and matching rotor.
It was completely plug and play.

Bike runs perfectly. 10.77/133mph at 870lb.

I have an 01...just converted to 32bit ECU / Rotor...I have my PC3USB on it still and it seems to run fine, but I'm wondering if it's actually working....or if it is in a zero state? Just passing the ECU numbers through it. I'm also getting a Primary injector code when I race. I'm going to take it off this week at the track and see if there is a difference. If I run the same times...I'll take that to mean it's not actually making adjustments.

With all due respect, very much NOT true. We have installed PCs on totally STOCK Busas and made more power, more torque, better throttle response, midrange, etc.
I was skeptical at the time we did the first one, did the tune at a customer's insistence expecting nothing. One particular stock Gen 1 went from 160 rear to 168 and picked up almost 5 pounds of torque. We realized then how bad the stock tune was for THAT bike. Putting the exact same ecu in every single bike that comes off the assembly line is hit and miss as far as the tune is concerned because of production tolerances and how bad the original tune may have been in the first place. There is no substitute for a proper custom dyno tune . . .:laugh:
I guess that's possible but from personal experience there was no gain at the track. The numbers might show a little difference on the dyno but the et and mph numbers were identical.

Update - After swapping to a 2005 32bit ECU...the 2001 PC3USB worked fine. I raced it...rode it everywhere and made some dyno pulls. It was definitely working as I had a couple more HP with it on...compared to pulls immediately after taking it off.

Update - After swapping to a 2005 32bit ECU...the 2001 PC3USB worked fine. I raced it...rode it everywhere and made some dyno pulls. It was definitely working as I had a couple more HP with it on...compared to pulls immediately after taking it off.

Good to know thanks!!

Thanks for the update. I am a new member and have been scouring this forum finding needed info and ideas. Lately I have been coming up on older posts that are always saying, "I am going to try this out, and get let you know the results". But most are left and never updated, and other members reply asking for updates on there progress. Appreciate the follow up. And your pic in your avatar looks good.

OK the magic question here is will a 32 bit system run with a 01 16 bit powercommander ,,, answer is yes it will run but cna you properly tune the bike on a Dyno??
Frank, any input?

Back