See, I'm not just an obsessive compulsive modder!

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I left the house for some quick curve riding and to try out my new OutRider IPhone 4s case ($40 clearance at West Marine) about 5 miles from my house. I stopped to top the tank off and then headed out. I look down and the tire pressure monitor is beeping, then turns to flashing red. Next thing I know I'm feeling that funny shimmy. I slowed the bike down and managed to pull into a parking lot before it let go completely. I felt like a pilot looking for a safe place to set her down!

Anyway no problem. I popped the hump, took out my handy Slime pump. plugged the pump into the handy 12v plug I had just installed. Then I filled the tire with slime, and put air back in the tire. All right there in the parking lot. With the slime I could see the hole, an open cut with no screw or nail in it (hardest to patch). 45 minutes and I was back on my way. Of course the riding day was over and I kept speeds under 40 with the slimed tire but it was a pretty solid patch. Took the bike to the dealer this morning and got a new tire (no patches for me).

So the Slime stuff is a winner, won't leave home without it! Touring riders are constantly trying to put together the best rig they can. They are obsessive about being prepared for anything on the road. I think the slime. the patch kit with CO2 inflation cartridges (in case battery is dead), and the slime pump really covers all but the worst blowouts and takes very little space in the trunk.

Twice I have called a friend to come get me when a tire has deflated on a sportbike. I don't carry tire kits on my sportbike as I'm never that far from home. I do carry a tire pump and plugs on my trips with the Connie. Never had to use it on my own bike but have used it on other bikes while on the road. A tire kit can come in handy in a pinch, for sure.

The only flats I've ever had was nearing the end of the tire's useful life. Never had a front tire issue, always the rear.

Back