ebay hids

HOOKDADDY

Registered
wanting to try the hid kits and i need to know the best way to go for the best light i ride to work every morning on ga hwy 61 and i need all the light i can get any and all input is wanted

steer clear from the fleabay HID junk. it will end of flickering. cheap worthless ballasts and bulbs that cost $3 to make. I'm sure some hav gotten lucky but u get wat u pay for

I would get/do a projector retrofit/hid kit. Bought mine from retro fit source. Seems high quality and that for bi xenon projector, hid stuff, and a relay harness. Worth the price imo. Now on the other hand I bought bi xenon projectors, hid kit, and harness for pretty cheap and haven't had a problem.

Just be sure to wire them through a relay.....whilst the switch/relays on the bike can manage to current to run the HID kit, it can struggle and sometimes fail due to the sudden surge needed to power the ballasts.
I've had Ebay car kits fitted to numerous bike and still have my fully working original kit which is now about 8 yrs old.
Ballasts usually fail due to poor power supplies or poor installation whereby the overheat...the newer small ballasts get very very hot and need lots of air cooling and were possible its best if they can be bonded to a metal surface which all in all makes fitting them to a busa quite awkward.
If your bike turns the light on from the key try using a delay timer to bring the headlight on as the constant on/off/on whilst you start the bike is brutal on the HID kit.

I've seen guys spend guys spend $200+ on "High Quality" HID's which didn't last a month and ive seen guys buy sets off Ebay for $30 which lasted 4 years and vice versa. Like mentioned above the key is to do the install properly. The biggest issue I've seen is not installing a relay or a switch to turn the headlight on after the bike is started. A Lot of them blew bulbs or ballasts on the initial start up of the bike.

May want to take a look @ a set of HID fog lights. Pashnit sells them on his site and there's a few other brands as well that I know of that are pretty good. They'll make a difference riding in the mornings, the busa headlight isn't the best when it comes 2 illumination

3000k is yellowish, 5000k is blue, and the higher the kelvin number after 5000, the hids will not be as bright. So a 6k or 8k is not brighter. The hids will not perform well in the stock headlight housing, as it isn't designed for hids. That is why a projector/retro-fit kit was recommended above. The light will be brighter, but the shape of the housing will scatter the beam.
You will also have trouble switching the high beam on and off repeatedly, as it takes the hid ballast a moment to ignite the bulb.
If you want more light to see clearer or further with, add fog lights and/or get a projector/retro-fit kit for the hids.

3000k is yellowish, 5000k is blue, and the higher the kelvin number after 5000, the hids will not be as bright. So a 6k or 8k is not brighter. The hids will not perform well in the stock headlight housing, as it isn't designed for hids. That is why a projector/retro-fit kit was recommended above. The light will be brighter, but the shape of the housing will scatter the beam.
You will also have trouble switching the high beam on and off repeatedly, as it takes the hid ballast a moment to ignite the bulb.
If you want more light to see clearer or further with, add fog lights and/or get a projector/retro-fit kit for the hids.

I would guess it all depends on the kit , I can switch from high to low back and forth with no lag time , also I spent a hour aiming the beams using the four bults in the nose and they light up the WHOLE ROAD!

Shoot a pm to Gixerhp, I have been using his kits now for 3 years and not a single issue. He even sent me a spare bulb.

I would guess it all depends on the kit , I can switch from high to low back and forth with no lag time , also I spent a hour aiming the beams using the four bults in the nose and they light up the WHOLE ROAD!
ummmm wrong! if ur riding with low beams and hit the high beams there absolutely is lag time which is why the high beams in HID are essentially useless unless u live in an area where there are no cars coming the other direction and don't need to turn the low beam back on quickly which is pretty much no where.

so the high beam is anything but instant which is why I removed my high beams and put the halogen bulb back in cause it defeats the purpose of havn the high beam cause by the time it heats up its usually time to switch back to low beam due to traffic. the halogen is instant.

and the beam pattern is really crappy with stock headlights. even on low beam. if u want to do it right u need the the right projector lens like sixpack stated.

UMMMMM since your so right I just went out and took a vid
Beam - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to pull it out on the road tonight and film the beams but can't cause it's on the trailer strapped down for the track tomorrow , But trust me they are just fine

Back