Frame Sliders

Lloyd

Registered
I am having a hard time drilling those holes in the side panels for the sliders..Is it worth it? Will they protect the fairing in a bobble?

Would you rather pay up to $1000 for new plastic if you drop your Busa?

CRW_5265.jpg

Dude, save yourself some money and do the mod,$80-90 for the sliders,1 hour for the install vs.$1100-1200, Not exactly rocket science here.

Easisted and most pain free way i learned Iceman taught

Tools
Laser pointer, Tape, Marker, small step ladder,, rear stand and your hole saw

Put bike on rear stand

1.Take your fairings off
2. now take a small step lader and position it about 3-5 feet away from bike
3 Take lazer pointer and tape the light so it stays steady on
4. slightly tape lazer pointer onto step ladder
5. Alighn the lazer pointer with the bold that will hold the slider and secure pointer to ladder
6. Replace fairing back on bike
7. Take tape and tape over the area that the hole will be drilled (make sure not to bump the ladder with the pointer on it or this will batch everything hence why the 3 to 5 foot range
8. Mark pointer mark on fairing with your marker
9. remove fairing
10. drill hole slowly so not to mess up fairing
11. remove tape work your way from outside to the center of whole to make sure you don't remove clear or other paint.
12. sand or add black ring materal to whole * can't think of name of it*

And now repeat for the other side

Well i hope that helps

Hell, just get some silly putty and put it between the fairing and top motor mount bolts.
Push in on the fairing firmly to mark the putty.
Take the fairing off and drill a small pilot hole, from the back of the fairing, in the center of the mount hole mark in the putty.
Turn the fairing over and tape the area your going to drill with masking tape (this will help keep the edges clean and masking tape won't hurt the finish).
Use a hole saw that will be big enough to allow the slider to pass through without touching the edge of the hole (you will get some vibration noise if it rubs the edge).
Mount the sliders.
Put the fairing back on.
Stand back and admire your handy work.

I bought Lightning sliders. They came with the trim.

beerchug.gif

I went with the Lockhard Phillips Carbon Fiber Inlay sliders myself. Took a while to summon up the courage to cut the fairings, but I wouldn't go without 'em now. They are designed to protect the frame during a spill, but minimizing the damage to the fairings, grips, levers and mirrors (which will probably touch first otherwise) can be immeasurable. TruWrecks, where did you get the Lightning sliders from and what models come with the trim?

BabyJScreenFairings-Right.jpg

BabyJScreenFairings-RightZoom.jpg

BabyJScreenFairings-LeftZoom.jpg

BabyJScreenFairings-Left.jpg

Lightning Performance sliders are the only one's that I've found that come with the trim. There may be a few others out there. I didn't get the LP Carbon sliders on the recommendation of my local shop. They told me that Lightning Performance sliders are the best on the market (they also sell the LPs). A few of the guys there have tested a few of the slider brands, and they all prefer the Lightning sliders.

Thanks for that info, bro! I'm not looking to change, but the trim is definitely a good option. Makes for a very clean look.

Well I could not make up my mind add sliders or not. Well late last year I did a low speed front wheel slide! I had very minor damage to the right side farring. Its in the shop right now. The price is not too bad, the repair of the road rash will only be $125.00, But the dam crome decal (04 L.E.) cost me $100.00! So it totaled $225.00. The carbon fiber sliders will be installed before I put it back together.
The reason it happened? It was not the gravel I slid on, it was the fact I couldn't cut two holes in a brand new bike!
Well I will have no problem doing it now. Hope this helps, remember "Their are those of us who have, and those of us that will"

Tools

Put bike on rear stand

1.Take your fairings off
5. Alighn the lazer pointer with the bold that will hold the slider and secure pointer to ladder
7. Take tape and tape over the area that the hole will be drilled  (make sure not to bump the ladder with the pointer on it or this will batch everything hence why the 3 to 5 foot range
9. remove fairing
11. remove tape work your way from outside to the center of whole to make sure you don't remove clear or other paint.

Well i hope that helps
- and if you use a more powerfull laser you can burn the hole at the same time...

Tools

Put bike on rear stand

1.Take your fairings off
7. Take tape and tape over the area that the hole will be drilled  (make sure not to bump the ladder with the pointer on it or this will batch everything hence why the 3 to 5 foot range
9. remove fairing

Well i hope that helps
- and if you use a more powerfull laser you can burn the hole at the same time...
Hey! If your laser is Really powerful you could burn both sides out at the same time! Oops...There's other stuff in the middle, isn't there.

beerchug.gif

Thanks guys, I will surley do it..the guy I got the bike from just spent 1500 bucks on panels, because he didnt do the kickstand mod..

I've been having the same dilemma. I know what's smart, but...I'd hate to mess up by baby.

Great post, very helpful, Thanks !

<!--EDIT|trip
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109572033 -->

I know the feeling Lloyd... It pains me to put a hole in Elenor, but nevertheless I ordered the sliders! Its for her own good...
smile.gif

Hi, everyone - newbie here.

I have the same dilemma - I know it's the right thing to do but I'm having trouble bringing myself to do it, I even have a pair of sliders(crash bungs over here) ready and waiting.

I found this link a while ago - I was certain it was on this site but I just can't find it again.

It's for bungs that require no drilling of fairing panels - they look the business but I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with them or know of someone who has.

I'd be grateful for any info

Cheers

Haven't done this mod yet mainly due to the fear of cutting into the fairings. Might have to do it pretty soon though, just to have a peace of mind.

Back