Quick Headlight Question...??? Not so quick...

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
OK quick rundown.  I am FINALLY going to get around to Installing (Icemans) HID Kit.  What I am planning to do is switch my High and Low Beam Wires, so the Highbeam will be on all the time, the Low beam (HID) will be switched on with the High/low switch.  Make sense? This way I will still have a safe functional Daytime running light and HID only when I need it (Night) and I won't have to try to rig up another switch.  

Seems to me that this should be a No brainer Swap because it's all 12V...  RIGHT?

With me so far?  Any thoughts?  Problems I might have.  I am talking about Physically Clipping and Re-soldering the Factory Wiring, or swap connectors off their leads.  

OK Now assuming that works as planned, I need a different bulb (NOT 60W) for the High beam.  I am looking right now at a PIAA Amber 35W H3.  However, the H3 is just this little bulb with with a pigtail.  WTF?  Supposed to be the same as the 9005.  

Is the H3 just the bulb in the 9005 assembly?  

If so is it something I can swap out myself?

This has been buggin me for awhile, any help would be helpful.

Icemann wasn't sure about the Swapping of the Wiring but looking at the service manual I don't see an issue...  Heat isn't a concern I don't think because I am reducing voltage in the Hi-beam and HID runs nice and cool..

So here's the schematic..

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097070142 -->

Headlamp_assembly.jpg

Here's the replacement bulb I am after... for the Highbeam which will be on all the time...  Yeah I will re-aim it...

PIAA H3 35watt Amber Headlight bulb.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: "fff"|1097069731 -->

PIAAH3_bulb__Highbeam_.jpg

Here's the Standar 9005 Replacement For the Busa High-beam.  Seems everywhere I go I get some kinda different answer...  I do know that the H3/9005 is the correct part.

Ron ayers has a part# Highbeam 09471-12151 12V 60W
                              Lowbeam 09471-12188  12V 55W

Thanks folks...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097069945 -->

PIAA9005__Highbeam_.jpg

OR Is the Highbeam a 9005 ONLY

LOWBEAM H3 ONLY?
rock.gif

Well I'm learning a little here... I think.... Headlight info

Here we have the <span style='color:crimson'>HB3</span>/9005 Same same...

9005___HB3.jpg

And then we also have the H3 as a Seperate entity.... SO now I got something to go check on... I have to confirm via Owners and service manual just what I am after H3 or HB3/9005...

H3.jpg

HB3/9005<-- thing differnt titles. Like a S-10 and a Sonoma. HB3 is the part you need not a h3 which is popular in fog lamps and aftermarket projectors. A HB3 is a larger bulb which is what is in the highbeam. I changed mine out a few days ago for a brighter xenon bulb.

Revlis, Don't do it!
One of the main reasons I bought the ICEMANN HID kit was to increase daytime visibility and reduce my chances of getting hit. My friends say that it is anoyingly bright and they make me go to the front of the pack, like that's a problem for a busa!
laugh.gif
Majority of all riding is done during the day, for most!
smile.gif

Sorry let me actually contribute something of substance here. Should work just fine as they are both 12V and are probably the same guage of wire. Don't see any problems.
smile.gif

Thanks JiT,

I will be riding with the highbeam on all the time...   But my concern is it being too bright at night so I aim it a little lower and maybe instal a decent colored bulb if I can find it...

You think having the HID on all the time isn't a problem?  Wear and tear on the componants? Did you install a separate switch and relay?

Better question for you, having just installed yours do you think it's worth the install and do you have any lessons learned you feel like sharing?

I appreciate your time Bro..

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097112487 -->

Definitely a must do mod. A little expensive but not for a true HID set-up. The bulb fit is a little funky and takes a bit to get just right, but will work in the end just fine. Remember the bulb has to go in a certain orientation with the metal strips inside the bulb on the sides. PM ICEMANN and he should be able to tell you. No switch on mine at all, just the factory set-up. This actually draws less amperage than the original light due to the digital ballast. Would like to have a harness to move the brain to the trunk, but I don't think you can with these if I remember ICEMANN's comments correctly. With this system on the high beam becomes pretty much irrelevent and is so dim in comparison as to be useless IMO.

I havn't heard of any problems with longevity or being on all the time. Remember, these are actually systems for a car and have some pretty wicked testing behind them considering the use they go through on the auto's. You will probably have to re-aim the low beam/HID once done or at least I did, it was off quite a bit. I literally do not use my HB anymore. I have this aimed so it will cover all my lighting needs. It does a better job at lighting the corners at night when leaning, you can actually see more of the road side and lines. Although I do get flashed sometimes, in the day or night, it is worth it as I will not be missed.

I don't know your riding habits but I would not do the set-up you are going after. IMO the best feature of this mod is higher visibility during the daytime, which is where it is needed the most, and it looks kickass to others on the road. Busa envy for them again! I too may consider a different bulb for the HB though like the amber one.

Put it in and just connect like normal before making any wiring changes. Play around with adjustment and the HB bulb color. By the time you have that set-up properly, you will have a real good idea by then if you want to swap the wiring pig tails. Also when done leave the inner fairing panels off and the speedo unbolted, just pressed into it's mounting by the friction pins, this will make adjusting the HID much easier as the adjustments bolts for the LB housing are a pain in the ass because they are directly behind the cluster.
smile.gif

I want one! Anyone know where to find one (or something similar) of ICE's setups? Ice, any chance you are getting these again?
Rev, I'm with justintime on this. Let it shine day or night. Make them see you coming.:cool:

You make a convincing case JIT2.... Hmmm...

That's prolly what I'll do, then if I want it switched I can allways ffiddle with it later...

I have seen alot of bikes in my area with just the high beam light on and I have talked to a few and they just switched the plugs around. took the low beam light and hooked it to the high beam. and so fourth. I think that would be the easyest way to do it.

Yup, That is still what I am thinking. Be able to run the Highbeam projector 24/7 and just aim it down a little bit. Then Have the HID on the factory handlebar switch and I can use it as needed...

Now I just need an Amber or Yellow 9005/HB3 Highbeam... That is proving problematic just as Icemann said it would be.

A yellow bulb for the high beam because if I switch the plugs around HI/LO so my HID headlamp isn't allways burning and is instead activated by the factory HIbeam switch. The high beam is a projector type and as such is seriously narrow and bright, a yellow bulb, aimed low will give it more of a "Foglight" look and will still serve quite well to increase daytime visibility while at night it won't be dazzling anyone. Make sense?

I am having a hell of a time finding the correct bulb in Yellow though, no one has it, or at least no one is selling them. So, I'll prolly have to simply aim the High beam super low, and just deal with it. The HID produces enough light to render the factory Highbeam useless so no harm really... Just wanted a FogLight look.

I don't want the HID on all the time because while running they use very little current, when firing up they draw a pretty serious load and I am concerned that this will cause problems with the starter. So I either have to install a switch somewhere, or simply swap the wires HI/LO and use the factory switch... Make sense?

Contact Icemann, he might have some kits again. would be a good $220 mod to pile on top of your $60,000 worth of mods you are allready planning...
laugh.gif

Back