how hard to mod?

Gear Jammer '94

Registered

I've owned and enjoyed my Hayabusa for more than a year now but have no experience working on motorcycles. However, I'm pretty mechanical as I used to build Stock Eliminator and 10" tire drag cars. I'm interested in adding a full exhaust system, power commander, cycle tek air shifter, and doing the air box mod. Are these something that I should be able to do myself and then have it tuned by Johnny Cheese? I've priced some reputable shops around the Dallas area and their installation prices seem pretty high to me. My bike is an '05 and all stock other than a -1 front sprocket that I had the Suzuki shop in Ohio install when I had new sprockets and a chain put on before I moved to Texas. Thanks. Scott

Im sure someone can guide you in right direction. I think its very possible fo ryou to do it yourself with assistance from forum GOOD LUCK!

I've owned and enjoyed my Hayabusa for more than a year now but have no experience working on motorcycles. However, I'm pretty mechanical as I used to build Stock Eliminator and 10" tire drag cars. I'm interested in adding a full exhaust system, power commander, cycle tek air shifter, and doing the air box mod. Are these something that I should be able to do myself and then have it tuned by Johnny Cheese? I've priced some reputable shops around the Dallas area and their installation prices seem pretty high to me. My bike is an '05 and all stock other than a -1 front sprocket that I had the Suzuki shop in Ohio install when I had new sprockets and a chain put on before I moved to Texas. Thanks. Scott

All things listed are fairly simple installs, if you can read and/or have any mechanical ability. You definitely want to hit up the cheese man, I have heard nothing but great things about him, very knowledgeable. Save the money install yourself!!
Posted via Mobile Device

The exh install can be done with the rad in place...it is easier to tighten the flange bolts without the obstruction...the pc3 is easy...flip up the tank...snake the harness down, connect and mount the pc3 in a good spot...the air box is also easy...search for the mod and it is pretty straight foreward...the flapper can be used as material to epoxy the base of the air box closed...the air shifter would be new to me, but if you have other parts associated with it (air tank etc) it has to go somewhere on the bike...just consider that while mounting you new "package" of parts...leave some room for other bs...cause it never ends...

The only thing I would suggest first is to talk to the cheeseman about the power commander. I know he's been doing tunning with the ecu editor and he might recommend that instead. All of the items you've mentioned are very simple mods to perform on your own with very basic tools. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. The more I read the forum the more comfortable I'm getting with everything. This forum has EXCELLENT information! I'm a HS math teacher so I have two weeks off at Christmas, spring break, and all next summer to do the mods. I'm going to try everything myself. One of the prices I got to install everything I listed was over $1,200 which I thought was kind of high. I'm wanting to go with a Brock's system and their web site is very helpful as well.

everything you are talking about doing is fairly simple. plus the org. has plenty of forums on exactly what you are doing with every man's favorite"pictures":laugh:

Back