16/42 gearing, any comments?

gsx1300rr

Registered
Hi, I have been reading a lot about 16/42 gearing and people loving it, that is down one and up two if i'm not mistaken, that must make the first gear super short. Does anyone know what each gear will go to? What will it top out at?
Thanks in advance

I had that gear, its a very low gear good for dragracing, your not going to like it if your have a stock swingarm, it will come up REAL easy, also its a pretty hard gear to run on the interstate, cause of the RPM's I liked the 16 40 alot better. Hope this helped ya..:thumbsup:

I found a simple 43T rear made about the best all around gearing for street and occasional track use.

Go for it you'll have fun, fast off the line and if you don't like it try some other gearing it cheap to have funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replys, I think I will try out the 42 in the rear for starters. Any dealers on this site that have good steel sprockets? I've had aluminum before on previous bikes and they just do not hold up as well. I appreciate the replys

I run a 16/43 on the MULLET. LOVE IT. But Im also rolling afat 330 rear thu. Not set up for the highway running with it, it tach 5G at 80mhp on 6th. At the track, in town, and in the hills..........its a great set up for me.
ON a stock armed buse...easy on the twist wrist, youll be look at sky fast.

I run 16-42 right now and I just spent all afternoon making 1st and 2nd gear stripes up and down every country road I could fine playin with my new u-soft tire and highway isn't that bad I still cruise at 80 no prob for me I give it 2 thumbs up

I also run 16/42 and I love it! :thumbsup: Its some sweet gearing for a first gen, the motor just eats it up :laugh: With that and the usual bolt on mods it pulls as hard in 3rd as it did stock in first :cheerleader: And it still cruises fine for my needs :beerchug: It does go through the gas a wee bit faster when I'm playing hard tho.......but WELL worth it :thumbsup:

Not good for aluminium sprocket,the wear for high speed touring will be very high.

I been wanting to do this also. I finally decided I'm going to do it. I will have it done either tonight or tomorrow. I will report back once its all done.

got it love it. i lost about 7 or so mpg and the rpms are up about, what, 600 more or so? not sure. drove from Ohio to Louisiana and back with it. not a problem . got used to the extra rpms. great for the 1/4 mile too. course i still cant get into the 9's just yet. any way i digress. im glad i did the change. also got a speedo healer. a must have imo. cause its way way off and i got tired of trying to subtract all the time. :beerchug:

my top end is less though. hit the limiter at 170mph..... only know this cause it was on a dyno

I love mine, got all my setup from street 'n' track I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

i run 17 43 and i love it. i have never noticed any off my top end and i have gotten in her pretty good. my speedometer is about 9percent fast which doesn't bother me cuz i have a good radar detector.

i have the stock swing arm as well. she only comes up when i really drop it a gear or 2 and get in her.

i say go for it and post up how you like it

my top end is less though. hit the limiter at 170mph..... only know this cause it was on a dyno
Get a tre to de-restrict 6th gear and you'll do a true 180 at the limiter. Personally I think 180 is all the top end most folks need on the street anyways. And with the new gearing you'll get there very very quick :thumbsup: :beerchug:

i run 17 43 and i love it. i have never noticed any off my top end and i have gotten in her pretty good. my speedometer is about 9percent fast which doesn't bother me cuz i have a good radar detector.

i have the stock swing arm as well. she only comes up when i really drop it a gear or 2 and get in her.

i say go for it and post up how you like it
16/42 is a 1/2.625 ratio and the chain will walk in 8 cycles

17/43 is a 1/2.529 ratio and takes 16 cycles to repeat, plus the larger front sprocket will take less load.

Personally I'd go for 17/43 for better chain wear.

Hi, I have been reading a lot about 16/42 gearing and people loving it, that is down one and up two if i'm not mistaken, that must make the first gear super short. Does anyone know what each gear will go to? What will it top out at?
Thanks in advance

Ask Gary...he knows everything :beerchug:

Back