HID install w/ pics

LeeFL2

Registered
Just wanted to share some pics of my install. Had these HID,s layin around and when I tried to install them, discovered that the bulbs did not fit. Ordered 8k blue xenons and this is the resulting install.

Turns out the Busa uses a H7 low beam and an HB3 9005 high beam.

DSC00407.jpg

Removed the nose cone. Surprisingly easy.

DSC00417.jpg

Bundles everytiong inside the cone. Glued the ballasts to the cone via 3M double sided tape. **** holds like glue.
I used two relays to activate the high and low but used a comon hot and ground leads from the battery so there are only two extra wires to separate when removing the cone in the future.

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

I chose to use a on/off lighted switch insted of that clumsy lookin delay relay.

DSC00430.jpg

Labelled everything so as to make repairs and disassembly easy in the future.

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

These are the two extra wires that I installed bayonette connectors on so they can be easily detatched when removing the cone for maintenance.

DSC00447.jpg

Installed a 30 amp fuse at the battery positive wire to keep things from smoking!!:laugh:

End result:

DSC00455.jpg

Also did my damper mod and front fork seals. Thanks to whoever wrote up the instructions and the tips on making a spring compressr. That was too cool and could not have done the job without it.:bowdown:

I see the ballasts but what about the igniters?
Posted via Mobile Device

**** aint got no igniters! Whats an ignitor? The ballast does it all...???

Proof is in da puddin:

DSC00455.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet install. I am installing now as we speak. Just picked up the same looking switch from wally world. What power did you break going to the lights the + or the -?

I thought H.I.D. systems needed an ignitor for each bulb as well as ballast
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm gonna use the PMR switch if any of the guys i pm'd bout ones they're sellin write me back
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks good. I'd keep an eye on the switch, really should be a waterproof type.

Clumsy delay relay? Now that's funny...particularly since you can't see it when the intall is done.

i'm gonna make a back panel for the PMR once I get one. JB Weld some bolt wells to inside corners of PMR housing and a lil silicone and i'll be good to go
Posted via Mobile Device

I thought H.I.D. systems needed an ignitor for each bulb as well as ballast
Posted via Mobile Device

Not really. Just a ballast and a lamp.

Looks good. I'd keep an eye on the switch, really should be a waterproof type.

Clumsy delay relay? Now that's funny...particularly since you can't see it when the intall is done.

None of the switches in the handlebar controls are waterproof. Just replace when they corrode. Same as boats.

Yeah, did not like the looks of the timer thingy. Looks bulky and problematic.
I like the kill switch better. This way I can black her out when needed! :whistle:

Frankly, I did not see a need for the switch or time to begin with. When you crank, it cuts power to the lights anyway. NBD

Last edited:
Sweet install. I am installing now as we speak. Just picked up the same looking switch from wally world. What power did you break going to the lights the + or the -?

Broke positive cause the switch is lighted and uses pos to light itself. No other option. I would otherwise prefer to break ground in order to minimize the hot wiring.

I use a led switch that is run through a relay so when the head light is off the led is lit up reminding me that the head light IS off.. :thumbsup:

I use a led switch that is run through a relay so when the head light is off the led is lit up reminding me that the head light IS off.. :thumbsup:

Good idea.

Thanks for all the comments guys.:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Still want to know what are ignitors!!???

How did you wire the switch in... thinking about doing it myself... I do have the delay though???

OK. The switch has three terminals. You must use a hot circuit(positive wire) otherwise the light inside the switch will not light. The first pin is where your hot wire goes, the second pin goes to your load(hids in this case) and the final pin is grounded in order to complete the iluminated switc circuit. When you flip the switch on, it takes the positive voltage and sends it to your hids and also takes that voltage, runs it thru a diode(to isolate both circuits from each other since diodes only allow current to flow in one direction) thru the light and out thru the ground pin.

Nice job Lee :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Each their own... I opted for the Keep it Simple and reliable. The clumsy time delay relay fits my needs for that. You can't see it so looks don't count, it's in a pretty sturdy plastic package, just put a little tape over the adjustment hole and it's pretty well sealed for any water, besides it's tucked down in the wiring harness so it's more protected there as well. Nothing to forget, like turn in on or off. I'm confident it will be less maintenance in the long run, how long will the indicator LED last. Heck you already have a relay in there. But that works for me...

Back