Take off stock mufflers?

karlmalone1

Registered
Hey everything, i just got my hayabusa a few weeks ago and it's an awesome bike, but i want a BUNCH more sound out of my exhaust. The problem is, i don't have money to spend on new pipes. I was thinking of taking off the stock slip on mufflers and just running it that way. How much louder would this setup be? And the important question, will i gain (or lose) power?

It will be louder, that's for sure. There are guys that will take off the cans and midpipes and then run to AutoZone and buy some slash-cut exhaust tips and clamp them onto the mid pipe. LORDy - someone seems to make a HUMONGOUS killing on ebay selling something like that! :whistle:

I haven't heard of it causing any problems...

yeah i saw that, but that's shorely not going to be loud enough for me.......i guess i'll give it a try (taking off stock mufflers) and see how i like it, i can always bolt it back on....but will i lose ANY horsepower? If it stays the same it's fine, since the weight reduction will help, i just don't want to give up power for sound.

Why so loud, if you don't mind me asking? There is a certain value in stealth.

that's true, there is, but i guess i'm young, love engines, and love loud things, so it's just my nature....when i do get an exhaust i'll be getting brock's alien head full system if that tells you what kind of loudness i'm looking for.

You can gut the mufflers out. Just leave enough for the chrome cap to stay attached. Will be as good at straight pipe and not look like a "Hack Job". Same process as the regular mod except you keep drilling until the chamber is loose and can be removed. It's been done and reported as very loud. Since you pretty much gonna end up with a straight pipe all the way out.

yeah i saw that, but that's shorely not going to be loud enough for me.......i guess i'll give it a try (taking off stock mufflers) and see how i like it, i can always bolt it back on....but will i lose ANY horsepower? If it stays the same it's fine, since the weight reduction will help, i just don't want to give up power for sound.
Not loud enough for you eh? ???

mine sound gooood just how i expected. total cost 20$

2009-08-27 13.39.38.jpg

i have mine off right now. i didn't cut mine because i like to put the pipes back on when going on long rides. and let me tell you, it is LOUD...VERY LOUD! first time you pull out and give it all its got shifting at 11k you'll have people from miles away hearing you. i rode to the beach and back with them off and it gave me a headace, but when just riding around here i like it loud. just take them off and see how you like it

i had taken mine off and put some little shortys on there... EXTREMELY LOUD... had to baffle it because my friends didn't like riding next to me or right behind me

It will be loud and will give you a headache.

I've searched around, watching youtube vids for the best sound on pipes. I thought the hotbodies exhaust was ok sounding based on the videos but when I bought them and put them on 2 weeks ago, I was in for a rude awakening. They are way too loud. wish i could sell them!

I think the best sounding pipe is one that makes everyone within a block of the bike wince in pain when you rev it up.....sounds kickazz and makes lots of friends and fans of sportbikes :thumbsup:

Running straight pipes might lose a little power on the bottom end. Your ears will also be ringing~!~

I run the Brock's alien head exhaust and it's about perfect~!~ (I like loud too, but no baffle at all is a little earth shattering when you crack into it)

Even with the Alien Head, if I climb a hard fast mountain with the rock cliffs beside me it echos back and I can't hear anything for the first couple minutes after topping the mountain. There's only one place around here with the cliffs close enough to do that, but it happens.

next time you wash the bike, take the pipes off to clean the chain grease off the swingarm, then fire it up and let it idle a bit while you're drying. it's flippin loud man.

Back