Sandrail-Chain to belt convesion

dabeechman

Registered
I had originally put this in the turbo section as an "update" but it doesn't seem like a lot of folks hit up that department very much. I originally built a turbo busa that was putting out 470hp on the dyno after it went through a reverser box that eats up 23% (or roughly 580hp without the reverser). I was going through a 530 drz2 chain every other time out.

I then decided to go with an EK 630SHB chain. This lasted another few times out, and although it never broke on it, it would get about as limp as a noodle after a couple trips. So at $160 bucks a pop and the risk of sawing my motor in half via a broken chain, we decided to do a kevlar belt system which is similar to the top fuel funny bikes. It has been about 8 months in the process, but everything is getting wrapped up now. We only have a few small parts left to machine, then all the aluminum pieces will go out to get hard anodized.

I will post some more pictures of the completed job in the next few weeks.

(The picture of one set of the pullies is an old picture. They are now cut and lightened, but before they were, the big pully weighed 20lbs :wtf:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Setup...we used drz2 on last one with a tom pro differential and chain seemed to do wheel...you put alot of heat thru them in the sand so you have to lube more often for them to last..

Last edited:
pretty pieces... you going to provide escape path for sand? (perforate the pulley's?) or is it going to be protected..

Chains didnt really last long enough to get to that problem. This is a tompro chassis, but everything else was done by ourselves. Tom only claims 280ish out of his turbo cars, so there is a large difference in his hp vs. our hp as well.

You won't be happy with that gearbox. It is built poorly and you will eat bearings like no tomorrow. After the 6th trip all the bearings were shot, one bearing exploded and tore everything up. The shafts were .015 off center which is most likely why the damn things eat up 23% and destroy bearings. We are now using a lenco reverser and it is much smoother and the tolerences are perfect.

you are running the reverser constant duty? how are you cooling it? (or is it an issue yet?) did not even recognize the thing hooked up without a bellhousing :laugh:

Last edited:
The reverser will be ran at all times. It shouldn't generate much heat.

The pullies are relieved for sand, but they will also have a cover to protect the belt from getting sand blasted.

I would poke a thermometer in the thing.. it runs a planetary and I bet it gets some heat going.. they do not hold much oil to start with.. I mean it could be just fine, but I would keep an eye on it.. (ours only ran for seconds at a time)

That's a pretty sweet set up! I've been wanting to get a sandrail since I've moved to Nevada.

I am in California, but I used to always race up sand mountain (Fallon) Nevada. You guys have some good sized dunes out there.

Glamis for turkey day rocks.. :) mag fires, blown alcohol dragsters.. and 1 beer..

oh yea.... the beer

a398_beer.jpg

a398_beer.jpg

Chains didnt really last long enough to get to that problem. This is a tompro chassis, but everything else was done by ourselves. Tom only claims 280ish out of his turbo cars, so there is a large difference in his hp vs. our hp as well.

You won't be happy with that gearbox. It is built poorly and you will eat bearings like no tomorrow. After the 6th trip all the bearings were shot, one bearing exploded and tore everything up. The shafts were .015 off center which is most likely why the damn things eat up 23% and destroy bearings. We are now using a lenco reverser and it is much smoother and the tolerences are perfect.

This car was completely redone turbo setup wise,and made over 475hp numerous times and now the complete custom turbo and blueprinted motor kit is going in my personal race bike..

the differential had an issue in the very beginning and we sent it out and had some maching done by my fab guy and no issues since,the car now has a nos motor in it and customer is happy...

Keep us posted on how it turns out...all the guys here are headed down tomorrow to the coast for memorial day...the sand guys are a wild crew...

Here's a couple pics of it done..I think it will do pretty good in my bike,gotta do a little reconfiguring of dumps and up pipe,have to use a shell instead of a tank cause plenum is a one off piece and corners touch the tank..

Hayabusa%20Turbo%20Buggy%20Kit-2.jpg

Hayabusa%20Turbo%20Buggy%20Kit-3.jpg

Hayabusa%20Turbo%20Buggy%20Kit-4.jpg

Hayabusa%20Turbo%20Buggy%20Kit-5.jpg

Hayabusa%20Turbo%20Buggy%20Kit-6.jpg

Last edited:
That is a good looking setup GC. I will get some pictures of mine when it comes back from the machine shop.

Our car weighed just a smidge over 900lbs ready to run.

Their weight is also their downfall. Since they don't weigh much of anything, it is hard to get a solid suspension underneith it. They just skate across the sand. That is why the bigger cars handle so well.

"Finally" have the system finished. It took a lot longer than one would expect. It will be a few weeks before I have finalized pictures, but i'll post some later of the pulleys and belts on it. I still have to get the hubs hardened and the pulleys and plates hard anodized.

Back