gen 1 heli bar advice

Blue1

Registered
I've read that people use Gen Mar risers with heli bars on gen 1s.

Gen mars are merely spacers that raise the handlebar mount, correct? They don't offset anything?

I have fabricated round bar spacers that bring up the handlebar mount 1 1/8". The spacers either need to be shorter or the heli bars need to be rotated further back (there is plenty of room at full lock to clear the tank) if the switch mount is to clear the lower rear corner of the windscreen.

Problem is the one handlebar clamp machine screw has to pass through the slot on the bar that's intent is too prevent what I would like to do.

I could machine a new slot that would allow the bar to rotate the 5 to 10 degrees I need for the switch mount, but I am thinking that slot is pretty critical in preventing the handlebar from spinning since the clamp bolts are only 7 ft/lbs.

Or I could remove the spacers, which would somewhat defeat the purpose of the mod. If I want to shorten them, I have to have a buddy mill them down, I need to know exactly how much to take off to clear, without giving away anymore 'bar height than I have to in order to get the clearance I need.

Any ideas/previous experience with the issue?

Thanks,
Blue1

Last edited:
what blade and speed and any special procedures are there to make a clean cut in an acrylic screen?

Blue1

There are a lot of ways to cut the windscreen. Personally, I have used a bandsaw and sandpaper being very careful not to scratch other parts of the screen. If you havent done it before you are better off marking the windscreen where it needs to be cut and having someone experienced do it for you. There is probably a member in your area with a bandsaw that could help.

Knowing I was doiing the spacers, I installed lines at +1", so I should be cool with that.

Thanks,
Blue1

I added 3/4 inch risers with the Heli bars.
I needed 2 inch longer brake lines.
I had to cut the screen, and used a dremel with a sanding tube and ground off just what was needed. It only touched on full lock each side.

raydog has 3/4" with heli's and no trimming of the shield was required to the best of my knowledge.. :dunno:

I had plenty of room in my ss lines. I had a set made up so it mimics the OEM circuit, only one line down to one caliper from the m/c. I guess one inch is enough the way I routed the line.

I took the spacers out and it doesn't look to me like a 3/4" rise will clear at full lock. If I'm gonna notch them at all, I may just notch them to clear the 1 1/8" spacers. It seemed very comfortable sitting on it in the garage.

I'll test ride it tomorrow without the spacers, just the heli bars. It seems at least as comfortable with the heli bars and no spacer.

One other thing I might do is a second pair of holes in the bar to locate the switch pods at a little different angle.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

Blue1

With the switch mount location holes slotted I was able to move the switch mounts inboard about 1/8", which allowed 1/2" mock-up spacers with no trimming of the wind screen.

Blue

Just sent a link to this thread to raydog to clarify what he's using..

3/4 risers with helibars.Trimmed the shield with a belt sander.

busa04.jpg

Wow guys, I have 3/4" spacers and Helis AND no mods required! Also, stock length S/S lines....not +1". I wish the bikes were side by side for a comparo. Now it's really crowded in that area....top mount damper, Zumo, radar det. Sorry, I just don't understand why there would be fitment problems. Raydog

P1000882.JPG

P1010556.JPG

P1020465.JPG

P1020466.JPG

Wow guys, I have 3/4" spacers and Helis AND no mods required! Also, stock length S/S lines....not +1". I wish the bikes were side by side for a comparo. Now it's really crowded in that area....top mount damper, Zumo, radar det. Sorry, I just don't understand why there would be fitment problems. Raydog

I see why yours fits,your shield runs with the body line of the bike. My ZG shield dropped down after the fairing.

Thank you for posting Doyle.. :thumbsup:

Back