Ecu vs pc3

oreo

Registered
I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that has had both their ecu flashed and remapped by smithabusa and a power commander on their bike and could tell me the differences that they noticed between the two

I have not had this done...yet. But I do run a PCIII right now and can tell you what I have read about the process.

From a performance stand point, you probably won't notice a difference if the bike was properly tuned with the power commander. The PC as a stand alone, only changes the air/fuel curve. The changes from an ECU flash, come when you are shifting at the 11,500 rev limiter, not the stock 10,800 ish. Yon can disable the top speed restriction with the click of a mouse, no need for a TRE. Or the fact you can change the ignition map with out having to buy another $250+ piece of equipment from Dynojet. You can do an instant map switch to a secondary map tuned to you bikes set-up. Example...nitrous.

So, from my view of looking at the ECU flash, vs just running the PCIII. If you want to unlock the full potential of the Hayabusa...go with the ECU. You can flash the ECU to modify the rev limter and top speed restriction and still run the PCIII for the fuel curve. But, IMO why bother with the extra equipment.

Just my 2 cents...

Yea ive been leaning towards the ECU deal it sounds alot better but i was kinda of scared of the to good to be true deal i talked to greg(smithabusa) alittle and read where he was talking to others about it i just really would like to hear from others not saying he would lie to me to make acouple of dollars but well im sure ya'll know what i mean

ECU flashing i much more precise. Esp in the cruising range of fuel/ign tunning. The ecu editor software has much more "cells you can paint". In other words with a pcIII you only have a certain amount of throttle positions to play and the ecu editor has more than double. It's has alot more small % throttle positions to really fine tune things.

The ecu editor does a much better job than any of the normal piggyback systems.

I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that has had both their ecu flashed and remapped by smithabusa and a power commander on their bike and could tell me the differences that they noticed between the two

are you talking having rev and speed limits modified in the binary,or a complete map???i did not know that greg is mapping bikes now???anyhow modifying the actual ecu binary will be more accurate and "cheaper" if you can find someone to map it that is in your area,the ecueditor software is a "freeware" by petrik that can be downloaded for free then all you need is the hardware"flashing box,harness" that can be purchased from greg for a reasonable fee,or you can make one yourself by following directions and diagrams given out by petrik.smithbusa has a few other goodies that you can purchase from him at the same time like a plug-n -play nos harness/shift controller....good stuff....flashing offers alot of features for a lot less money,just finding someone to tune it is a little tougher,there is a few .bin files that you can download for free that may be close to your combo to get you close and headded in the right direction......check it out:thumbsup:

ive done both! i had my stock ecu reflashed by lee at lees performance, then i added the pc3 and tre afterward,ran it for about 3months,removed both devices and its a very noticable diffrence. my bikes runs so much smoother and throddle response is CRISP AS IT GETS! IMO...............REFLASH UR STOCK! u WONT BE DISSAPOINTED!!

get a price on MAPPING and a price on FLASHING
and see the difference
my price on mapping a pc3 250
making a FULL map by flashing 600
both have pros and cons

BoostbySmith has what you need for ECU reflashing (unleashing)your stock ECU. Raise limters 10,800rpm to as high 12,000 rpm if you have the nuts.Unrestrict your speed and resale you TRE to a newbie. I use all of Greg's equipment From reflashing to Nitrous harness hookup for nitrous control through your Stock ECU (instead of some big name controller scn--z). I now use his Lock-out box which keeps nitrous from being able to activate in 1st gear. ALL, ALL of Greg's equipment (owner, designer, manufacture) is top notch researched through himself or other willing board members. It's user friendly and wires in a matter of minutes to the bike via harness applications.
I dont make a dime for pitching BoostbySmith's products Iam just one happy customer. Dont believe me research it for yourself sales@boostbysmith or wwwboostbysmith.com This equipment rocks and absolutly unleashs the full potetial of your Hayabusa motorcycle fastest production motorcycle made.
:thumbsup:

BoostbySmith has what you need for ECU reflashing (unleashing)your stock ECU. Raise limters 10,800rpm to as high 12,000 rpm if you have the nuts.Unrestrict your speed and resale you TRE to a newbie. I use all of Greg's equipment From reflashing to Nitrous harness hookup for nitrous control through your Stock ECU (instead of some big name controller scn--z). I now use his Lock-out box which keeps nitrous from being able to activate in 1st gear. ALL, ALL of Greg's equipment (owner, designer, manufacture) is top notch researched through himself or other willing board members. It's user friendly and wires in a matter of minutes to the bike via harness applications.
I dont make a dime for pitching BoostbySmith's products Iam just one happy customer. Dont believe me research it for yourself sales@boostbysmith or wwwboostbysmith.com This equipment rocks and absolutly unleashs the full potetial of your Hayabusa motorcycle fastest production motorcycle made.

so did you map it by flashing it?
so far I have only one that wanted mappin all others want a pc3 for mapping and flashing for everything else

cheeseman - why the big price difference? Is it because of the actual ECU flash process vs the live loading for a PC or bazzaz? Just curious...

cheeseman - why the big price difference? Is it because of the actual ECU flash process vs the live loading for a PC or bazzaz? Just curious...

yep and you have to go back and forth to see what really changed
pc3 and bazzaz you tune while loading heck you can even hear the differance while you make changes

actual flashing the ecu binary takes a lot longer,you have to data log turn off bike then edit the binary re-boot, flash then re-dyno,no real time changes can be done with motor running,pc3,bazzaz ect you can,so it takes up less time to dyno,but i will take petriks route or rr's route and use fdt and flash the actual binary in the ecu any day,instead of intercepting the facory outputs and maniuplating them before sending them back to the engine,but it has been around for a long time and still works.anyone who has ACTUALLY has used the flashing/editing software,editor or romraider will admit that it will take longer,because they ACTUALLY KNOW what is involved in editing/flashing a ecu,taking a .bin file,editing dynoing,datalogging,modifying .bin,erasing,reflashing and then re-dynoing,but it will ALWAYS be my method of doing it,i have done dozens of factory denso ecu's including testing ones that are not available to the public and am very satisified with the results...ecueditor software is very basic and ALMOST anyone can use it,but there is ones that can give a tuner ALOT of tuning options in the right hands......stay tuned...:thumbsup:

ECU flashing i much more precise. Esp in the cruising range of fuel/ign tunning. The ecu editor software has much more "cells you can paint". In other words with a pcIII you only have a certain amount of throttle positions to play and the ecu editor has more than double. It's has alot more small % throttle positions to really fine tune things.

The ecu editor does a much better job than any of the normal piggyback systems.

it is not the fact that ecueditor has more resoulation,but in fact you can edit the "area"around 11 percent throttle angle where the factory ecu changes from a speed density map to a alfa-n map,and with being able to tune in that area,most can adress that dreaded over rich area around 4000,rpm by being able to edit the iap map(speed density) area,before switching into alfa-n(tps vs rpm)making a smoother transition between them,where powercommander you cannot.:laugh:

the revlimit can only be raised to 11,600 in ecueditor,it can be done with romraider,petrik had it stopped there,so please get your facts straight before you post,even though you can "raise it" to 12,000 if you ever done a reverse_engeering check with the actual binary,you will see that when you go to flash it it WILL automaticaly lower it to that "factory" setting done by petrik when HE wrote the software,i understand that you are a happy customer,but greg only followed someone elses directions and mass produced the flashing devices,this technology was around for a long while and SOME of us was testing it here in the us,it only became public after the untimely loss of dave-o,one of the greatest tuners that has ever been in the sport.try to remember who ACTUALLY came up with the product and who ACTUALLY copied it off the hack website..godspeed dave-o,you will be missed:beerchug:

Forgive me for beaing a little over zealot with my satisfation of BoostbySmith equipment. NO I did not have the pleasure of knowing Dave-O, but I do believe Greg does remember by his contribution back to Davo-O's foundation. Right? As far as raising the rev limiter to 12,000k, Its my understanding the software disclaimer that pops up when you try to go above 11,500 tells you it has not been tested above the 11,500 limit and you do at your own risk. If the software reverts you back to 11,500 thats new information to me thanks. Also thanks for the condescending texting about my knowledge of the product. I believe in Greg's equipment and I dont benefit in any way by pitching for him. So take alook at your motives before popping off, I was pushing up a Board sponser that in turms remembers your buddy Dave-O with every sale. Oh yea that might be a true benefit to his family. Peace be with you. I used Walter Sprout to Dyno-tune my bike with ECU Editor. Took a little longer according to Walter, But fact is we had a bike with almost Identically mods. to mine so Walter had a baseline BIN-File to strt with. The time constraints in making a pull and making adjustments and reflashing takes time , but as more bikes are done nation-wide with the top power adders on the market, Baseline Maps will exsisit(BIN-files) Prices should level out and other tuners will pop up using ECU editor and bring pricng down.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Stocker, no sir I am not mapping bikes. I am far from an engine tuner, I tinker on my own stuff, but wouldn't be tuning anyone's bike in the near future LOL.

Glad to see people are discussing flashing. Just to clear the record, and I have publicly said it many times, i didn't invent anything regarding flashing. RR, Petrik, DaveO, all played huge roles in hacking the stuff, coming up with software, flashing etc. I didn't even look at the stuff until many many guys were already flashing. I saw it as an opportunity to take something that existed for a small crowd of do it yourselfer's and make it so that lots of guys could have access to it. Some of us like myself, Stocker, etc love to tinker with stuff and wire stuff up etc, and a lot of guys hate that and would prefer to pay me to build something up in a nice case, supply directions, telephone support etc, thats all that I am doing.

The flasher box i built based on directions that Petrik was kind enough to post.
The nitrous harness I put together was using directions that Petrik was kind enough to post.
The air shifter harness that I sell (cycle-tek) builds were built on directions that Petrik posted.

I am not claiming to have invented anything, just made something a little more accessible to people who don't want to wire something themselves and not sure if it works. I test everything before i ship it etc.

I spoke with Petrik at length before ever considering selling anything ecu related to make sure it was okay with him etc.

DaveO was a great friend to me, and I am only meaning to honor him with this stuff, I send $$$ to his family on a regular basis when these sell. His wife has thanked me for the donations as well as continuing on with something that DaveO was so passionate about.

Take care everyone :) Whichever way you go, just get the bike properly tuned.

For reference, Schnitz charges $350 for a full ECU tune, you just need to purchase the small harness that goes on the bike, not the flashing box etc.

Regards,

Greg Smith
BoostBySmith

Last edited:
it is a great thing that greg does by donating money to the dave-o fund,it takes a great man to take some of his earnings and send it to dave's family,right you chose one hell of a tuner to map your bike,walter is a great tuner and it is good to see more people opening up to flashing,sorry for being a little harsh,my bad,i spend ALOT of time with the flashing stuff,and actually flashing ecu's,i have been blessed to have alot of very fast bikes that people let me do,i am not a tuner either greg but just a flasher by hobby,i have done a few ama dragbikes that compete on a professional level,and i am learning every day.there is a few very fast grudge bikes that i have flashed,turbo,nos and all motor bikes,i am getting busyier every day with this stuff and i am experimenting all the time.sorry for the outburst i handled it in a childish way and i meant no harm to greg and his business,i only wish great sucess to him and i envy the following he has developed through his great customer service to his customers,he is a good business man,look at how you try to sell his products for him,you are happy and thats what brings people back to buy more.........greg sorry,i hope there was no harm done to your business or customers opinions due to my childish outburst.....right i am also sorry for it too,i should have handled it in a more professional way and explained it to you in order to inform instead of insult,i want to see more flashing being done and the technology to get even better.if i can help you all in any way let me know,i spend alot of time studying the actual inner workings of the ecu,s and testing at the track. :usa:

Back