gearing

jjbusa

Donating Member
Registered
i know this has been asked before but i wanted the easy way out i want to go with a 520 conversion,crank balancer removal and 18 40 sprockets but i dont know if i have enough power. it has stock internals but the regular add ons. ive herd of people going 16 42 but ive been told since im a big guy i can handle the 18 40

lmk..

I'm not sure why you want to convert to a 520 chain vs the 530... Also the 16/42 gearing is alot more agressive than the 18/40. As far as handling it I'm not sure what your weight has to do with it. Gearing really depends on what your use is of the bike.

If your engine is bone stock internally I don't see any real advantage in removing the balancer.

im mostly street riding but 1/4 here and there i want the most out of the bike is all and ive read that removing the balancer and going 520 will loose some weight off the bike i know some will say why dont i loose it but thats not the case. im sure some of u have removed the balancer and some have converted to 520 i wanna know was there a noticeable difference?

I don't think you're gonna fell much of a different except for extra vibrations. Mentaly you may "feel" a difference. If you're determined to go to a 520 chain (and sprockets) for a racing benefit then also make sure it has no o-rings. The maintenance will be much higher but loosing the o-rings can be a slight benefit.

I drag race my 08 and I have 16/43 gears. I am also a big guy and didnt really notice much of a difference with that gearing. I talked to some of the other riders at the track and they suggested going with a 16/45 or even a 47 . The higher the rear gear # the more agressive it will be off the line. This gearing will get the bike to move quiker at the start but if ya do more street it will hurt fuel milage. If ya do change geras get a speedo healer ,it will compensate for the gear and get your speedo a little closer to actual speed.
Also as stated b4 the 520 chain is a little lighter and without O rings it will require more cleaning and lubriction. My personal preference would be a 530ZZZ O ring chain. stronger and able to handle the heavy loads of street and drag racing.

IMO a total waste of time and money... probably see bigger benefits by skipping the cheeseburgers...

Go to your local drag strip and see how many have swapped to a 520. You don't lose enough weight to justify the lack of torque handling. 16/43 is what I run, I'm about 250lbs. "Big enough to run 18/40" makes no sense. Removing the balancer without doing anything else is a waste of time. If you don't send the crank off to get balanced it will come apart without the counterbalancer. If you're going deep enough into the engine to pull the crank, save your money up and buy a stroker and/or a big bore. The labor is exactly the same putting a stock crank back in as it is for a stroker. I spun a rod bearing last year and didn't have enough loot to go stroker, but if this is a planned teardown wait til you got your money right and holla @ Jay @ APE.
Seems to me that you have been listening to somebody that is either telling you nonsense on purpose, or don't know what they are talkin about.....

I would think a 520 on a busa would be a bad idea. Also you need to tell what you are trying to accomplish. 16/42 would be good for 1/4 mile but the 18/40 would be going in the totally opposite direction. You could probably go with 16-/45 to start for 1/4 mile and then fine tune from there. Weight , power and other factors have to be considerd for a optimum gear at the drag strip. All will affect the end gearing.

i know imma get heat for this but i run in the streets from time to time and i wanted a lil edge is all didnt think it would create alot of problems. ive read about others removing the crank bal with no issues i guess who ever done it never chimed in. so lets drop the rest and for street riding hard riding at time what gearing is recommended?

I haven't had a balancer in a while but that was after moving away from the stock internals.

Try the 16/42 combo and see how it goes for you. On the streets it's harder to get traction so that normaly the limiting factor. At highway speeds these gearing is going to make you carry alot more rev at speed.

Back